Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death) review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: Nov 11, 2000
Marilyn Manson: Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death)

Musically, this album is a cross between the highly-polished production of "Mechanical Animals" and the dark sonic character of "Antichrist Superstar". It sounds like hard rock, genre-wise, and has plenty of guitar and keyboard parts. This record is also the first one for which John 5 performed guitar. Sadly, his talent is underused here. Twiggy Ramirez is as good of a composer as ever.

Manson used this album, in many ways, as a rebuttal to those who had blamed him for the Columbine massacre. He also used it to criticize the aspects of society that cause such events to occur, such as our unconscious glorification of Martyrdom. The usual criticisms of organized religion, particularly Christianity, can also be found. Manson's vocal quality is up there with his work on "Mechanical Animals".

The album, though not a masterpiece as the previous two had been, is still pretty good. My favorite songs from it are "The Love Song", "Target Audience", "Coma Black", and "Valentines Day/The Fall of Adam". The rest, though, are not up to what at the time was his usual standard. More than anything else, the songs are forgettable. The record is still better, though, than "The Golden Age of Grotesque" or "Eat Me, Drink Me".

JJ-5
    this has got the best Manson line-up ever! Great album
    EmancipatedSoul
    Eat Me drink Me is a great album, but with Manson, it is impossible to say which one of his Cd's is the greatest. Each one appeals to a different part of musical taste. I personally like Portrait of an American Family and Holywood more than any of his other albums, although all the others are brilliant. This is the most under-rated Manson album ever, and is absolutely amazing.
    kia77
    i dont think u can pick a best cause for manson in every album hes got a message hes trying to get out so each one is very different
    [x]Huffy[x]
    Even after all these years following the release of Holy Wood, I still fail to see why both critics and fans alike were indifferent to it. I think it's a brilliant album personally and also his last truly great record.
    guitaluva17
    If it hadn't been for Columbine, i dont think MAnson would have made this album and would have just ggiven us another shitty one like golden age.btw his new album is horrible. dont buy it!