Lest We Forget: The Best Of [DVD] review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: Sep 28, 2004
  • Content: 6
  • Production Quality: 8
Marilyn Manson: Lest We Forget: The Best Of [DVD]

The sound for this DVD is not the best thing since sliced bread until you hook it up and make it really loud. Since The band has changed members so many times and this is a best of DVD the sound (of the band) is all over the place, but there is a general industrial metal feel to the entire disc, altough I say it has a general industrial metal feel to it it also has other styles such as swing/metal or even at times a pop music feel to it. It main contributing artist's to it were Brian Hugh Warner (Marilyn Manson) Jeordie White (twiggy Ramirez) and a drum machine.

Content — 6
A series of Music filmclips from each of his Albums or EP's This DVD has many hidden features such as a "autopsy hidden in the extra features menu or alternate filmclips in the album menus. The song list to it is a series of 3-4 songs from each of his aforementioned albums or eps. The song list is good but not great he has made filmclips for songs that do not necessarily need them, and has not made them for songs that would benefit greatly from it. He has also neglected to put on Tainted love filmclip which he made for the Not Another Teen Movie Soundtrack.

Production Quality — 8
The Production quality was good and it had some nice tricks to look at such as a picture changing title menu with songs to each album in each menu all in all rather "nifty". Made with good album art and in fact has extremely nice looking cover art of disc, the disc is covered in black and white legs that circle the hole in the middle and add up to a rather nice looking design which is better than a lot of artists do these days.

The most mpressive thing on this DVD is the physical changes that the band and he himself have underwent, it goes from a couple of angry hicks to a metal artist with his own unique style. It definitely compares to other artists and if this DVD went missing or was stolen I would definitely rush out and buy it. The only part I love is that some of the filmclips aren't exactly other people friendly and it makes him stand out as an artist. I hate the fact that he makes so many hidden features so you are never sure you have them all.

not_dead_enough
    Overall great DVD! Very cool menus and hidden little bits and pieces (cool the way the main menu itself changes depending which 'album' you are in when you go back to it). It's full of Manson songs, what's not to love??
    It main contributing artist's to it were...and a drum machine
    At none of these stages of the band's life featured on this DVD did the band exclusively use a drum machine. With the exception of a short time in the late 80s this band has always had a live drummer. Given you can see the drummer in the music videos and the drums don't sound like a drum machine (except in a couple of little bits) I don't know where you pulled that one from.
    He has also neglected to put on Tainted love filmclip
    Yes...and he also neglected to put on Astonishing Panorama of the Endtimes.
    Jau_Peacecraft
    Son_of_Kyuss
    I lost faith in Manson to be honest. If you look at a lot of the writing credits, it was Jeordie White (referred to as Twiggy Ramirez) that wrote a lot of most well known riffs and hit songs. John5 is a wicked a guitarist, but he can't carry a Manson album on his own, and frankly he shouldn't have to. I still think the best Manson album is "Anti-christ Superstar" because the band is at the peak of their powers and Trent Reznor was backing them and producing so the production quality was amazing. Not too mention all the songs flow on that album. Last I heard about Manson was he was starting a new line of make-up. I'm not saying Manson will never write another good song, I just doubt you'll get anymore albums that are pure gold.
    Son_of_Kyuss
    Jeordie White moved on to play bass in A Perfect Circle for 13th Step and now he's playing bass in Nine Inch Nails. In my opinion Trent Reznor has aged far more gracefully as an artist and Year Zero kicked ass in my opinion. But I will say if Manson is always good for one thing, it's a killer live show, and I heard he was supposed to do a co-headlining North American tour with Slayer, and frankly, that would be insane.
    Twiggy81R
    "Eat Me, Drink Me" is a great album. Tim Skold really has added to the musical aspect of this band. The lyrics to the new album are Manson all the way; it's sort of a metal-love/hate album. His current events should explain that. A few tracks that really stand to me are "Putting Holes In Happiness", "Evidence", "They Said Hell's Not Hot" and "You and Me and The Devil Makes Three". Trust me, it's a great album. PS: Yes, I will buy it when it comes out if you're wondering.
    Son_of_Kyuss
    To each their own dude, I'm not here to keep anyone from doing anything, just speaking my mind.
    _sam_
    yeah..NIN fualing manson was sweet, but he is still talented as an artist even without reznor backing him up..though the single from the new manson cd isnt amazing...its still a nice song..
    I Walk Alone
    Jau_Peacecraft wrote: IMO, their greatest hits cd was Mechanical Animals. It's a shame GAOG wasn't as great as it was hyped up to be, but perhaps Eat Me Drink Me will be an improvement.
    I still like Holy Wood the best along with Portrait and Eat Me Drink Me, but that's just me.
    DOPPELHERZ
    HE PUT HIS FAVORITE SONGS,AND HITS ON THIS ALBUM.HE DID HIS VERSION OF THE SONG TITLED: PERSONAL JESUS. HE DID IT SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL ARTIST!HE DID AN OUTSTANDING JOB OF IT!THE VIDEOS ON THIS DVD ARE ALL OF THE SONGS THAT ARE ON HIS ALBUM IN HERE.GET THIS,AND ADD THIS TO YOUR MANSON COLLECTION!