Mechanical Animals review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: Sep 15, 1998
Marilyn Manson: Mechanical Animals

The sound of Marilyn Manson's third album truely redefined what people knew his sound and image to be. Until this point, most people had seen him as an obscene artist with a strong hate message (with the disclusion of the songs "The Man That You Fear and "Tourniquet"). The sound brought a deeper overall intimacy level and showed some of the sorrow and reasoning behind the hatred. Also, you hear much more of M. W. Gacy on his keyboard. Without a doubt, there is a tremendous difference between the opening song of Mechanical Animals (Great Big White World) and the opening of the Antichrist Superstar (Irresponsible Hate Anthem). I think that Manson put a lot more thought into this album than his last and definitely more than Portrait of an American Family. The sound makes me think he was inspired strongly by David Bowie (which he was) and possibly Freddie Mercury.

In all of Manson's albums, he hit the nail on the head with this one for the most part. This album speaks much of personal issues including the death of a close friend. I feel he wanted to reach people on a more personal level. Obviously, he had a drug addiction at sometime in his life if not while writing (considering heavy drugs were used by all band members during the making of Antichrist Superstar). I feel he's being honest with everyone, therefore I personally can relate to this album best.

This is the best album Manson has made. The best songs on the album are Great Big White World, The Dope Show, Mechanical Animals, Rock Is Dead, Speed of Pain, Coma White, and I know it's on the Last Tour on Earth album but the acoustic version of The Last Day on Earth. I love that he comes out in the open with this album leaving nothing to hide. If this were stolen, I'd definitely get it again. I highly recommend getting this album above all.