Mechanical Animals review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: Sep 15, 1998
Marilyn Manson: Mechanical Animals

"Mechanical Animals" was a big departure from Manson's previous three CDs. While they were rooted in industrial rock, glam rock was what was in store for the listener of this album. It was also a bit more polished-sounding than Manson's previous work. (Trent Reznor, the producer of the three previous CDs, liked to apply distortion on songs; listen to a Nine Inch Nails album to see what I mean).

Like "Antichrist Superstar" and most of Manson's later work, "Mechanical Animals" is a concept album. Lyrically, it was (and is) his most mature album, lacking the outright hatred of "Antichrist Superstar" and the silly mess of puns and double-meanings that his later work like "The Golden Age of Grotesque" had. It was also the first album that he sounded decent vocally in. Whether that was because of more studio magic or not is up to debate, however.

I must say that this is still, after all these years, my favorite album of Manson's. The superior singing and maturity (both lyrically and musically) make this an album even non-fans can probably enjoy. My favorite songs from the album have to be "Great Big White World", "The Speed of Pain", "The Last Day on Earth", and "Coma White". If it were stolen from me, I would undoubtedly buy it again.

DOPPELHERZ
    THIS IS AN EXCELLENT ALBUM!YOU CAN FEEL THE SONGS.YOU CAN FEEL HOW MANSON FEELS WITH THE SONGS THAT HE'S SINGING ABOUT-AND ALSO WHAT HE WENT THROUGH.THIS ALBUM'S VERY TOUCHING.IT MAKES YOU THINK ABOUT THINGS,AND FEEL THINGS.HE REALLY DOES HAVE THE GIFT,AND TALENT TO GET TO YOUR HEART,AND SOUL.HE GOES ALL THROUGH YOU.HE TOUCHES MY HEART,AND SOUL.HE GOES ALL THROUGH ME.YOU REALLY SHOULD BUY THIS ALBUM.YOU'LL KNOW WHAT I MEAN.
    Herr_Grinch
    The first review states he bashes gays, but in the album he supports homosexuality, and hints many times at his borderline homosexuality. So, how is that bashing gays?
    asfastasdark
    @Herr_Grinch, I agree. In The Dope Show for example, I think he puts up a rather sarcastic tone to criticize the conservative American.