Portrait Of An American Family review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: Jul 12, 1994
Marilyn Manson: Portrait Of An American Family

Marilyn Manson was straight up metal on this album (with some industrial mixed in). This was the first Marilyn Manson CD and one of the best. Not to mention, Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails produced it. This album is very unique. It starts with a scene from Willy Wonka and ends with an angry parent leaving a message on an answering machine. It sounds similiar to his Antichrist Superstar album, but is still different.

The lyrics on this album can be both playful but dark and violent at the same time. The song My Monkey have a playful kind of attitude but was written by Charles Manson. Dope Hat also has a playful sound to it, but the lyrics aren't exactly about fun stuff. Then there's songs like Cake and Sodomy and Get Your Gunn which are loud, violent, and right in your face! When the music quiet, Manson's voice is quiet, but when the instruments are ragin', so is his voice. Manson might not be the greatest singer in the world, but he gets out all gis emotions and feelings though it.

This album sounds a little similar to NIN, but olny because Trent Reznor produced it. The best songs on the album are Wrapped In Plastic, Get Your Gunn, and Lunchbox. If you've never heard Manson's music before, you might not like this album. So for the Manson virgins out there, try listening to Mechanical Animals. There's not much I hate about it, except listening to the last few song which I sometimes get bored of. If it was lost or stolen, I would buy it again within a week or two.

Phe4rTheGod
    My fav. Manson album...very well built cd...or so I remember, it'll prob. sound different to me know, I haven't heard it in about 6-8 years...