Smells Like Children review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: Oct 24, 1995
Marilyn Manson: Smells Like Children

Ok, first things first, I'm nothing but a punk rocker, so I love that underproduced sound that is present in this, "Portrait..." and "Antichrist..." Manson is really my only musical guilty pleasure. So in my book, I'd give it a 5. The techno element added to some of the songs is a little strange, but it really grew on me. I've owned it since '96 or '97 and was already familiar with "Portrait..." I loved all of the covers (look under lyrics) and the overall "F--k it all, let's get f--ked up and who cares that I'm wearing your sisters underpants?" feeling.

With the exception of "Sweet Dreams," "Rock & Roll Nigger," and "I Put A Spell On You," (all covers) the tracks that are actually music and not excerpts from talkshows, Twiggy singing and insanely strumming his twangdoodle, eavesdropped phone calls or a "f--k you" to former bus driver Frankie, it's a remixed version of a few songs off of "Portrait..." but with a completely different mood behind it, I love this album the most during fall, whereas I listen to all of his other albums religiously throughout the rest of the year.

I think why I personally would call this my 2nd favorite by Manson, it might only be due to mere nostalgia of lost Mansonite youth, but when I listen to this record, I notice a little more of the sheer intensity hidden in each of it's angst ridden tracks each time, and the "beauty" (for lack of a better word) makes me want to die that much more. If you disagree, I respect that, but read his book, then try the album out again completely alone and tell me you don't feel different about things. I would buy this again immediately.

mmanson
    Im a big manson fan but i hate this - all it is is a remix cd yeah it has 3 real songs and stuff with them playing around but u shouldnt waste your money on this - get anti christ superstar or holy wood thats mansons best albums he had some other good ones but those are the best