The Golden Age of Grotesque review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: May 19, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 3.3 Poor
Marilyn Manson: The Golden Age of Grotesque

The sound on this album is not the greatest, due to the addition of Tim Skold to the group. He helps proivde a much more industrial sound to the album, however, the album contained no guitar parts or melodies that particularly stuck in my head. All in all, the album contains many forgetable and boring riffs.

The lyrics on this album are shoddy to say the least. I followed Manson since I heard the masterpiece that is, 'Antichrist Superstar', and revelled in the emotion and imagery contained in his fantastic lyrics. But this seems to have gone out the window on this album, each song contains sub-standard lyrics, using childish puns and wordplay to get along. For me, the biggest disappointment with this album was that Manson sounded like he couldn't be bothered, his singing was boring and didnt contain the fire and hatred which fueled his previous album.

Overall, I must say this album was a severe disappointment to me. It is not in the same league as any of Marilyn Manson's previous releases, and couldnt compare to any of the work by Ministry or Nine Inch Nails. The only songs I could bare myself to listen to more than once were 'Doll-Dagga Buzz-Buzz Ziggety-Zag', and 'Spade'. To be completely honest, there wasn't much I loved about this album. It isn't the worst record I have ever had the misfortune to listen to, but when I hear it, theres just this nagging feeling that Manson couldn't be bothered at all, and this is reflected in the shallow and sloppy lyrics. If this album was stolen, there'd be no chance in hell I'd buy this mess again.