The Golden Age of Grotesque review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: May 19, 2003
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Marilyn Manson: The Golden Age of Grotesque

If there was one Marilyn Manson album that comes pretty close to beating Smells Like Children in terms of boringness, Golden Age of Grotesque would be that album. Manson's sound has shape shifted into a more carnival-esque feel that was supposed to make fans feel greasy and used after listening to it. The only emotion I feel is regret in that I may have wasted 18 dollars to purchase this album, but not due to the album's sound. Golden Age of Grotesque definitely presents a new sound that is harsh and strained, using many guitar and keyboard effects, but retaining the same Manson sound.

The lyrics are certainly what this album lacks. Starting with This is the New Shit and traveling all the way to Use Your Fist Not Your Mouth, Manson's lyrics severely lack the power that his previous albums possessed. I honestly laughed out loud when I heard Doll-Dagga Buzz-Buzz Ziggety-Zag for the first time because to me, the song is a complete joke with it's nonsensical phrases. In addition, the use of clich's and stereotypes creates a boring slur of words that do not represent Manson's ability as a lyricist (Use Your Fist Not Your Mouth for example). However, Ka-Boom Ka-Boom and Spade did prove to be very powerful songs with creative entrancing lyrics that need to be recognized as the two gems in this audio bore-fest.

To sum this album up, I was not impressed. I seriously can contend Golden Age of Grotesque album with Smells Like Children as being Manson's worst album, because at least Sweet Dreams and I Put A Spell On You made me not regret buying the album. However, in Manson's defense I must say that everyone runs out of material or has a low spot at some point or another and I hope that this album is that low point. I recommend that serious Manson fans buy this album (as I have) and add it to your collection. For the not so serious, pick up Holy Wood or Antichrist Superstar. If this album were to get lost or stolen, or were to break I would purchase another copy, but merely for collection and novelty purposes.

EmancipatedSoul
    Skold made a difference. A good difference, and manson is flexible. But Twiggy was still part of the beginning. Him and manson came up with Great albums, and Although Golden Age was a good change, it didnt have the special something that made all the other albums unique. Twiggy and John 5, COME BACK!
    Strokesofgenius
    i like it, why wood people keep bitching on about an album they dont like??, NO ONE CARES< LITTE BITCHIES!!
    Kynyster_K
    I really only like sweet dreams on this CD... thats easy 2 play on guitar by da way
    W.h.o.r.EGuitar
    the lyrics have a nice flow and he tries some new ideas; as far as the sampling and such... Idk I like this cd so what if it was a more polished sound its just one cd he has a whole repitoire of rawness with his band
    swave75
    It's okay. I like the title track the best. Skold is okay. Manson did need a change.