The High End Of Low review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: May 26, 2009
Marilyn Manson: The High End Of Low

I got news for all you people out there: Manson is back! This record recovers his career from his previous, sub-par album, Eat Me Drink Me. The best way to describe this album is a mix of Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood with a little Golden Age thrown in. Twiggy's guitar is loud and blarin' and sounding great. He performs a very emotional solo on Into The Fire. Unfortunately, the sound of the record is slightly damaged by trachs like WOW, which I see to be a NIN rip-off, and 15, which has incredibly annoying vocals. Also, I Want To Kill You... Is a 9 minute bore-fest. Overall, the sound was very impressive.

Here's my problem with the lyrics on this album: they're very self-centered. There's no great protest songs like The Fight Song or The Love Song. Although, the album does have bursts of great lyrics, such as in the track Devour where Manson repeatedly screams, "I can't sleep until I devour you!" Other great lyrical highlights are two ballads on the album, Into The Fire and Running To The Edge of The World.

This is Manson's best album since Holy Wood (which isn't really saying much). The best tracks on the album are the abrasive Pretty As A Swastika, the sad ballad Into The Fire, and the opening track Devour. With once listen, this album can easily be dismissed, but after a few listens, it can really grow on you. If you liked the first 4 Manson albums, you'll like this album. The big thing I dislike about it is that Manson put tracks on it like WOW and I Want To Kill You. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy it back again within a day or two.

EnDZYm3
    mlukeroberts222 wrote: Personally, I'm sick of everyone bashing this album. You think you can write a better album and be better than Manson--then go f*cking do it! I think the album again shows a different side of Manson, as almost every album he's ever written has. Until one of you pansy-ass bashers write an album that garners half the success or attention as a Manson album, SHUT THE F*CK UP. it just jealousy that drives and fuels you all.
    And I try so hard to support people like you. but this makes it really, really hard.
    Sandy_jr
    I was disapointed after reading the reviews I thought it would be worth gettng but I think that it hasn;t got the appeal that other albums have got. Holywood and before I like and even Golden age but the last 2 have really missed the mark. The lyrics are the thing that annoys me most on this. They seem a bit "try-hard" or childish. Not the near the quality of Potrait or Antichrist
    raygo123
    okay this album has some good songs, for example Armogoddammother****inggeddon, which is awsoome, but like alot of other people have said i think mansons good days are over, unless he can give us a new song that will blow us away i think we should just think about the good old days, although it is better than eat me drink me, i dont know what to think of it, whatever manson is a great insperation to us all !
    ejenkins
    better than eat me drink me for sure...i really like PRETTY AS A $, BLANK & WHITE and FOUR RUSTED HORSES
    syd-young
    i like this album manson said that he wanted to go a new Direction with this album and thats what he did and i think its a good step for him
    EnDZYm3
    I hate it when people [especially fans] compare an artists works to their previous ones. At least in a sense where you're trying to grade the piece. The truth is, you can't really. People's mind-sets change over time. This is a great album, but I'm only saying that for myself. It's up to you to decide whether or not you like the sound. But what you can't do, is not like it because it doesn't sound like it used to. This is Manson, not God. People change over time. And quite honestly, This style, whether you like it or not, is true Manson style. From Antichrist Superstar - Holy Wood, it's all been a project. You'd know this if you read his autobiography. Marilyn Manson's true style is about Glam and Pop, not Anti-religion. Manson wanted to piss people off, and he succeeded. Now that he's finished, he isn't trying to bash anyone. But if someone gets bashed along the way, then oh well. That's how Manson is. Manson's TRUE roots go back to "The Spooky Kids" era. If you compare all of his albums since The Golden Age of Grotesque, you would notice a striking similarity, with the exception of Eat Me, Drink Me. That too was an act, and he won't release anything else with that sound probably ever. So I can understand everyone's frustrations about the actual style of Manson's newer works. It makes sense, maybe you're just not into it. But what I can't, and never will, understand is why you would not like it simply because "It doesn't sound like it used to."
    RaZiAx
    aidenvl wrote: look, let's be honest, in order to truly know manson you should have been 16 or older and an avid music listener between 1994-1996. EMDM and HEOL, when compared to POAAM/ACSS/MA, which yes, were the albums that brought millions of his fans to the table, are flat out terrible. Devour and Wight Spider are the only truly respectable songs on the entire album. i mean, give me a break, the second song sounds like a STP song! nothing crushes your senses anymore. there is no more hard pounding shock rock. Twiggy is a legend, but again let's be honest, he was softened while he played with a perfect circle. this is not the same twiggy, and not the same manson that put out the first three albums. and then there is the loss of John5...i have listened to HEOL about five times through and can barely make it through about 6 of the 15 songs. for the first time in 14-15 years, i am actually contemplating to skip manson's tour this summer b/c of how horrible this album is, again, compared to what brought me to the table as a fan of manson back in 1995 with POAAM/ACS/MA.
    Come to think of it in this perspective... i sorta agree... unfortunately.....
    RaZiAx
    Come to think of it in this perspective... i sorta agree... unfortunately.....
    aidenvl
    -Vogel-
    I just hope that he'll sort his shit out, takes it easy with the drugs and starts to kick ass on stage like he used to. To me Marilyn Manson is more about the live, in concert experience than the albums.
    mlukeroberts222
    Cillian
    small problem with that second review, twiggy doesnt have a guitar solo for one very important reason.... twiggy ramirez ladies and gentlemen is a bassist! great to know theres people out there who apparently barely know a band and think they can write a review ah well, maybe theyre cheaper during a recession
    RaZiAx
    a new guitarist i would most likely go with past member Mark Chaussee. added something great when he played like best example was hearing him play great big white world. manson himself said he wanted to write songs with him. i saw mark live a few years ago and wow just watching and hearing him was incredible. i think he could add something to the band to make it even stronger now they got twiggy back.[/quote] Hmmmm... interesting.... We'll see wat happens then. Mabye Mark will be the new live guitarist as well. Chris did do a cool job on high end of low too. tracks like WOW etc.. (BTW my real names Mark lol)
    jlrb
    I will have to agree with the post above me. Holywood was probably one of the best. Would it not have been awesome to have an Antichrist Superstar-come- Holywood? Before the album was releases, i followed Manson's "comments" about how much it would be like Anitshrist Superstar. I must say though, it isnt. Its too self-indulgent and the use of the word "you" is all over the place, as if about some girl. I do love the album (i wont ever hate a manson album, unless its Smells like Children), but I was expecting something more comparable to the likes of The Angel With The Scabbed Wings... Lets hope he gets his political rawness back and he releases Antichrist Superstar in a new flavour! Still, Manson has been very influential to me and my music, views on the media and all sorts of other crap. To those who havent listened to it yet, stop reading this and take a listen! Who agrees? Manson for president.
    Guttersniper
    At first i felt dissapointed in this album, but after a few listens i really like it now. Excluding a couple tracks this is a very solid overall album. I really dont understand why in both of the reviews they say Holy Wood was bad... thats my favorite album, then antichrist, mechanical, then this album. Alot of people are knocking this album down a little too much, i can see why some people may not like it because they are expecting it to be like former greatness, but they way his past couple albums have gone this is a huge step forward
    OzZY-RuLE5!!!!!
    i doubt john5 is coming back because of the altercation at rock i am 2003. though they patched up better terms don't seeing happening seeing as john5 is having the time of his life with rob zombie. i doubt we will see pogo back seeing as he is sueing manson. even though pogo breached contract with manson and according to manson last time he worked on an album was holly wood. chris vrenna is way better then pogo and adds to band. not only as good keyboardest and producer but as a drummer. chris is responible for nine inch nails drum sound. if they do get a new guitarist i would most likely go with past member Mark Chaussee. added something great when he played like best example was hearing him play great big white world. manson himself said he wanted to write songs with him. i saw mark live a few years ago and wow just watching and hearing him was incredible. i think he could add something to the band to make it even stronger now they got twiggy back.
    RaZiAx
    OzZY-RuLE5!!!!! wrote: the album itself is quite indullgent. like when i am listening i am hearing the doors, bowie and of course iggy pop influence. it's been 4 days since it has been released out here in canada. the songs are quite enjoyable a return to his former glory with a touch of something new. there isn't a song on the album i don't enjoy. i really like musically feel to the high end of low. true that antichrist superstar days are passed but they come close if they work with rick rubin. rick rubin is a legand. rubin could bring manson's lyrical fire back. i don't see this as manson last album as some magzenes have pegged it. it is just the beggining.
    AGREED!! And if Manson could somehow get the Holy Wood era line up back, then make the next album so damn good that its arguably better than Antichrist and Holy Wood. Then that would be a killer career ender. totally. But then again he probably wont end it and just continue to evolve! Man... that would b the shit!!
    OzZY-RuLE5!!!!!
    Swank
    I think, us fans, we have 2 like, every cd he make! but of course we miss "Antichrist Superstar" EPIC ERA in metal history! we cant deny that! MM is one of my hereos! thanks 4 exist! thats all ... bye
    JJ-5
    I bought the album today and i think it's pretty good. He does change as time goes on obviously and I don't think he'll return to his Antichrist Superstar kick arse days but we might as well embrace what he has to offer. Twiggy's back which is great. All they need now is John5 and Gacy like the Holywood days but I don't think that will happen. The standout track for me is 'We're from America'. i thought the bass line kicks arse and the lyrics typical Manson. At the end of the day i'm a die-hard Manson fan til I die! Rock on
    RaZiAx
    Great Album. feels like Antichrist Superstar and has Holy Wood and Mechanical Animals 'feels' in certain songs. yeah i like this. i give MM credit for this one. nice work. i like the mood... And to any mother ****ers that say this album is shit. quit living in the past and EMBRACE the new sound.
    Jau_Peacecraft
    Blue? wrote: it's shit. an 8? i wonder how much you're getting paid.
    I would've given this album an 8 if it didn't have some rather terrible songs (unkillable monster, wow, 15, & leave a scar, & maybe if we're from america wasn't as repetititous, & i wanna kill you like they do in the movies was only about 5 1/2 minutes long versus 9 minutes long) on it, honestly. I would give this a 6 as is, but the previous two albums 3 or 4's. I'm cautiously optimistic it's a step in the right direction, though. Blank & White was a rather promising moment that even older fans could appreciate, methinks.
    Wakizashis
    Hey everyone, this album is really controversial. I love Mechanical Animals, Holy Wood is also great. I REALLY love his biggest rock album Eat Me, Drink Me, every song if you ask me and those great solos! The best album for me. This album is strange. There are some memorable harsh liveful songs, there are sad slow ballads and I could even catch feeling like "Marilyn Manson meets Johny Cash". Many people consider this album as Mansons one of the bests, other says its pure shit. In the first listening I was quite dissapointed, because English is not my native language and I rather enjoy music firstly and then I see how are the lyrics. This album is good and as usuall, it is very different than his other releases. It is very minimalistic, which is maybe the problem. If you think this will be your good ol industrial shock rock, give yourself a cold shower... I like this album. You need a time to get into, and if you put together lyrics + music, it is nice mix to relax, or to have more romantical evening with your Girl/Boyfriend. IF you wanna hear some really good music, choose moody Mechanical Animals or Eat Me, Drink Me. Greetings from Czech.