The High End Of Low review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: May 26, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Marilyn Manson: The High End Of Low

Gosh, I would first like to start off by saying what a great comeback from "Eat me Drink me". I could not even get past the 3rd song on that album. Now that Twiggy is back, the two can focus on their sound more than he could with John 5. He seems to be experimenting with what he like's and what he isn't sure about. The track that caught my attention the most was the song "15". It seems like a slow hip hop ballad, however it still feels like a rock song. Another song that caught my attention was "Devour". I have been waiting a long time for another great Manson riff like this one. The main riff is very suttle, but at the same time, somewhat creepy.

I'm not blown away by the lyrics, but at least this time hes not crying about his ex girlfriends... As much. It seems like he made a few attempts at his "shock rock" factor, however did not conjure any shock for me. The most shocking song on the album is "We're from America" which depicts what America really is....disaster. Sorry but there is no shock in this album. If he would of released this album in the mid 90's people would be freaking due to songs like "As Pretty as a Swastika" and "Arma-Goddamn-Motherf--king-Geddon", then released Anti-Christ Superstar Today, people would be even more shocked. I just recently pulled out that album and listened to it and found my self scared and shocked with some from that album, but then I remembered, he lost all that in a matter of years.

The album defiantly is not a "AntiChrist Superstar" or a "Holywood" but it is still a somewhat good album. There are some songs that are pretty good, an example would be "Into the Fire", which is Manson's first real ballad. However songs like "WoW" and "I want to kill you like they do in the Movies" are terrible. I would say buy some songs on itunes, but buying album isnt really worth it, unless your big Manson fan and want to keep collecting his album. I bought the Deluxe Edition with 6 alternate versions of songs on the album. These were more impressive than the original versions. So I guess this album doesn't hit a bang as much as I would like it to, but it is still a alright album.

doomsdayscottie
    its not the right wing that reacts to manson in a negative way, its the left wing. It was Clinton who called him evil
    asfastasdark
    It definitely has the sound of MA. Mechanical Animals was simply a masterpiece, musically, lyrically, and symbolically. This is no doubt better than EMDM, and has a new sound to it, but it sounds to me like an in-between combination of MA and HW. Symbolically... I don't think any of his albums including this one have been as good as any of the Triptych. Holy Wood and Mechanical Animals were literally life-changing, this is just normal music again. Oh and @doomsdayscottie: It's not specifically the left wing or the right wing. It's politics in general. Manson is shock rock, the very purpose of which is to offend the masses. At the end of the day, everything is politics and everyone wants more "votes." Life is a game of populists. Oh... and @EnDZYm3: "Marilyn Manson's true style is about Glam and Pop, not Anti-religion." Go read the Nachtkabarett, and you'll see what Manson is truly about. After reading everything there, it became very clear to me that Marilyn Manson's true style is much more than just shock, or glam and pop. It ranges from Kabbalistic to alchemistic, to the most intense stuff you could ever think of. Adam Kadmon is in many of us.
    dogratdemise
    To be honest, i like almost all of the albums, they each sound unique and to be honest: who wants to hear the same albums over and over.....(ac/dc).....dont complain when there is something different everytime
    Aegypticus
    Fck all of you! This was a tremendous album and a certain step in the right direction for the band.