The High End Of Low review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: May 26, 2009
Marilyn Manson: The High End Of Low

The High End of Low is the seventh Studio album released by the rock band known as Marilyn Manson. A band with a singer synonymous for being blamed for the violence and deaths seen worldwide on your very television screens. Though the target of religious scapegoating, the band has made it through thick and thin, and with The High End of Low, show that they are still one of the strongest bands out there. The High End of Low was created during a rough time in Manson's life, having lived alone, and in near exile for months during the creation of this dark, haunting piece. It follows his story from a near homocide/suicide to the revelation of self-discovery and the listeners are dragged along the journey like Jesus to the cross. The sound of the album is incredibly raw, reflecting his emotion and suffering infused lyrics and riffs that burn any heart drawn near. As raw as it is, it is fortunately not as overly produced as the previous album "EAT ME, DRINK ME", and has almost a type of quality to the instruments as did in the very Coma-Enducing "Mechanical Animals." Even so, some of the qualities lower when Manson's voice scrapes the sound walls that could have been better produced to prevent.

The lyrics to this album describe the story, almost like that of Satan brings brought down from Heaven, crashing into to hell with a painful scream and thud. Marilyn Manson describes how, having cut off his wings to be with the one he loves, it ultimately destroys what made him special in the first place. This idea is reflected heavily in the track Manson start's just the very howl that would deter any rapist werewolves as he crashes through the layers of hell, titled "I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell". The music and the lyrics play well together in this album, unlike EM,DM, which seemed to go better as an instrumental piece, rather than coupled with the pained lyrics of a broken man. And although The High End Of Low is not Marilyn Manson at his lyrical best, it does show he is still alble to bust out his wit and vitriol to match the equally devastatingly marvelous riffs of returning band member Twiggy Ramirez -- Jeordie White. His most lyrically stunning tracks, as I would suggest, are "Leave A Scar", "Four Rusted Horses", "Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon", "Running To The Edge Of The World", "I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies", "We're From America", "Wight Spider", "I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell", "Into The Fire", and "15". These tracks, I felt, really had a deeper meaning and feeling inside of the lyrics that drove them, even the very open-sore lyrics of A-G-M-G. Were they his best? No. But it shows he has still not lost the ability to manipulate the english language into a configuration of brutal, and utter passion.

The High End of Low is no Tryptich album. It can not beat the likes of AntiChrist Superstar, HolyWood, or their sonically best - Mechanical Animals. But it is an album that shows a band re-emersing themselves in what made them a band in the first place. Revitalizing the dark spirit of the band's essence, this album is a stepping stone to what the future holds for the now label-free rock band. Free to torture our begging souls with his haunting lyrics, Twiggy's powerful riffs, and more wonderful artistis pieces from a band that has never once done the same album twice, like some artists that do not know how to evolve over time and eventually run stale. The album is strong, it signals the return of Twiggy, and he makes that return with a great impact like an asteroid to the Earth. Rocking and shaking the very foundation of what we knew of the band to its core only to create something even more invigorating and promising. But even so, it has a lot to be desired, which may hinder some listeners love for the more heavier, or lyrically efficient Manson they knew back from ACS to Golden Age. I recommend you purchase this album and listen to it fully. The High End of Low truly lives up to its name as there can be nothing but higher levels of artistic achievements for the band from here on out now that the low points that occured, and nearly destroyed the band during the eras of Lest We Forget and EM,DM are finally behind them.

andrex1212
    Man Holy Wood not memorable? Who the **** wrote this review... Holy Wood is one of the top 3 best Manson albums aside from Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals..
    coco-loco
    Sure it's not the best, but I really like THEOL...can't wait for his next album. Apparently it's more "Death metal".
    swave75
    Pretty good album but he can do better. He has lost too many members and I think that is why it will never be the same again.
    1nSingularity
    this is probably the only album I don't really like - and even then it's pretty okay. I don't understand the shit Golden age and Eat me Drink me get - they are both awesome, along with each other album
    aaronmcm99
    shockrocker wrote: look, i don't mean to sound like a 12 year old here, but im a manson fan (or was). i didn't mind Eat me, Drink me, because tim skold pulled it through with his beautiful soloing, but from what i've heard from this, its horrible. There is nothing industrial about it, its just.... I can't even explain how painful it is to hear him turn into this.
    What?! Eat Me Drink Me was an experimental album this is his proper album!
    DaniArrow
    This one's a pretty wreck. All the boredoom, gloom and self loathing. Once in a while, when I'm in the mood, I put it on. But other than Leave A Scar or Pretty As A ($) there really aren't many songs you'd want to hear unless you're in that mood.