Enemies review by Marionette

• Released: Oct 5, 2009
Marionette: Enemies

Marionette have got to be schizophrenics. They don't have conversations with themselves or go down the traditionally spazzy avenue garde', but their music is packed to the rafters with binary oppositions. They are something of a Jekyll & Hyde in their vicious, youthful extremity, which is forever struggling to prove itself against the father figure in their sound an absolutely spot-on ear for a melody. The Jekyll & Hyde comparison only goes so far though, as the two sides of Marionette's coin do end up co-existing and together are a gruesome, elegant, ugly, beautiful anomaly. The major difference between Enemies' and their debut Spite' is speed. The fast parts here are even faster, which makes the groovier parts even groovier and the album in general a whole lot more intense. Even though the production is just as slick and Linus Johansson's rich keyboards make more frequent (not to mention valuable) contributions, the album feels like an exhibition of calculated rawness. If you analyse the abstract in songs like Anthropomorphism' you even begin to get the impression that the vocals and drums are facing off against the guitars and engaging in a fight to the death; the former ripping and biting, the latter battering the mix with its gratuitous muscle. You should be seeing by now the sort of contradictions Marionette make through sound, but opposites attract, at least in this case.

Enemies' is said to be about conformity and authority, which at least puts the crude, flabby man-pig on the cover in context. It's not the most thrilling topic out there, as much as it probably should be but the returning strength of Axel Widn's vocals you're not going to make out many lyrics, good or bad, but boy are you gonna enjoy it. Experimentation with pitches, layers and different ways to scream set Widn apart as a performer though it's hard to say whether he is quite so vital to the band's sound this time around.

A debut album from a band like this is always going to set them up as hopefuls' with potential to make a big impact; it's good to see that they're still fresh enough for a second cracking album, even if it is just over a year later. Still in the stages where they need to develop a core audience, this is just the sort of progression that a band needs and this is just the sort of band you may need. Highly recommended.

bitterend85
    speaking of contradictions, the reviewer has stated multiple times in this article that this is a debut release - but also talks about it as a followup album when comparing it to the previous, which he calls the debut release.. wha?
    duncang
    Apologies for the misleading summary on the homepage guys, wasn't my choice.
    Oden The Great
    420ismybday
    duncang
    420ismybday wrote: Where can I listen to demos or online stream of these guys. ive only listened to 1 song from them and i want some more inside my head and mind. can 5um1 help me p1z....
    www.myspace.com/marionettesweden
    Amuro Jay
    Oden The Great wrote: what kind of music is it? is it like heavy scream like a norma jean or a pig squealing kind of metal?
    Scream/growl. I picked up these guys debut album last year. I thought it was ok, but I can't really remember it. I don't think I ever gave it a proper listen since I was blazing through so much music that month. Anyway, this looks interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks, Duncan.
    hairy-southpaw
    I found it bland. They aren't really doing anything that In Flames wasn't doing better in the 90s.