Screenplaying Review

Mark Knopfler: Screenplaying
Release Date: Nov 8, 1993
Label: Warner Bros.
Genres: Rock
This album presents excerpts from four movie scores written and performed by Dire Straits leader Mark Knopfler: "Cal", "Last Exit to Brooklyn", "The Princess Bride", and "Local Hero".
 7.9
 9.7
 6.1
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Screenplaying Reviewed by: bass1991guitar, on november 03, 2006

Sound: What can I say? It's very hard to write this without swearing at the sheer brilliance of the talent this bloke possess. Every track on the album is utter class. The records contains 18 tracks from the movies; Local Hero, Cal, The Princess Bride and Last Exit to Brooklyn. The soundtracks are very well mixed and are easy listening anytime, anywhere. Some of you may also like to know that the CD isn't all guitars. There's lots of sax from great players including Michael Brecker. I can't believe the man hasn't run out of ideas. He had input to all the tracks composition-wise. // 10

Lyrics: Well it's all instrumental so I'll talk about erm, the best tracks. I personally love "Smooching" from Local Hero and "Wild Theme" from the same film. I do feel however, that it is a real shame that there are no bonus tracks to listen to. I'd love to hear more without paying 50 for all four soundtracks. A class use of scales and chromatic runs. Oh well. // 9

Overall Impression: Well if you get the chance to buy this cheap, beautiful, indispensable CD you really should get it. HMV for 7 and bang you've got it in a week. There is nothing more to say except to be wary of first impressions. They aren't great but hell give it a proper listening. Wild Theme still makes me shiver. Nice one Knop. // 10

Comments