Neck And Neck review by Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Mark Knopfler & Chet Atkins: Neck And Neck

Released September 1990, Neck and Neck is among both artists best recordings to date. Two guitar titans have formed to make an incredible team. A range of instruments complement a range of musical genres like country, blues and a hint of rockabilly. You can hear guitars, a beautiful sounding acoustic piano and the traditional countrified lap steel. The sound is nothing less than you would expect these mammoths of guitarists.

One problem, tons of covers such as Roy Buchanan's 'Sweet Dreams' and a more traditional 'Poor Boy Blues'. However the covers are as good as the originals. A fantastic version of 'There'll Be Some Changes Made' appears with parody lyrics and speaking parts by both Knopfler and Atkins. Also, you get a Chet classic, 'Yakety Axe' a fast paced, joyful country tune. To add to this, Knopfler's 'Next Time I'm In Town' country ballad includes some wonderful harmony and guitar picking.

It would be impossible to rate this down. I'm really trying to find something wrong with it but I can't. This disc will put you onto country music for life, if it doesn't, you need your ears cutting off. Just by listening to a few tracks, you feel the need to pick up a guitar and play. The amount of times I have just sat and jammed to this record are uncountable and I would recommend it to anyone.