Songs About Jane review by Maroon 5

• Released: Jun 25, 2002
Maroon 5: Songs About Jane

With a fresh start for power pop, Maroon 5 prove to be the best chance for the genre. A brand new innovative sound with the bases of strong bass lines and sexually explicit lyrics that vocalist Adam Levine puts across with the soulful and young voice of a mastermind behind relationships struggling. The album's title really describes what the album's story covers. Most of the songs or all of them for that fact (I might be wrong I'll double check later) add up to the fact of heartbreak and sexual tension between the women and a man. The sound is very funky and also mellow, making it a deadly addictive mix of musical talent between the band. It sounds like the band mostly focus on making the best type of rhythm rather and song structure than chucking in complex solo's and crazy time signatures.

The lyrics are very powerful in the fact that most of it relates to heartbreak and deception between the opposite sex. Adam Levine the vocalist portrays the emotions perfectly in the different varied vocal pitches he has. He stands to be one of the best vocalists out there today with his very smooth and relaxed voice, with a very unique pitch and sound to the way he sings.

This album is one of my favorite albums in my collection and does stand out a lot in terms of interest. My favorite song has to be "Through With You" which for me in my own opinion captures the essential funk essence of Maroon 5 in a whole. I can't say I hate any song on the album, every song takes you through a step in the story that Levine so passionately shares with the listener and I love that. If I lost it, I would with no hesitation buy it again.