Blood Mountain review by Mastodon

• Released: Sep 12, 2006
Mastodon: Blood Mountain

Amazing, that's one way to put it. Everytime I listen to this record, I find something new and interesting. Whether it's a cool vocal harmony, or an acoustic riff I missed. It pure greatness. Brann is a drum god, the next Neil Pert! His jazz influenced drumming helps this masterpiece become even more unique. Brent and Bill's guitar work is very good as usual. They know how to make a riff come alive. Troy handles the bass duties very well on this album. He knows when to play, and when not to. He brings a very cool aspect to the band, it's agressive, but intelligent. The way they bridge prog rock, hard rock, and heavy metal is flawless. It's worth a listen.

I love the vocals, they're odd, interesting, and very cool. The first track, "The Wolf Is Loose", starts off with shout and brutal screaming. Then Troy adds in this very interesting vocal part, it sounds raspy, but angry, very interesting. Then you have a song like "Sleeping Giant", the vocals are very sorrowful, but beautiful and powerful at the same time. Then you have that cool outro with the spoken words. Another interesting track vocal wise is Capillarian Crest, Brent utalizes the higher pitched screams, but he doesn't get carried away and makes the insane. Then you have this very cool chorus line, thing, where they harmonize and sound like they're frantic (the capillarian, gone away, part). The vocals on Colony of Birchmen are very well done aswell. I love how Brent and Josh Homme harmonize together, especially during the gone away, my hearts gone away, part. The lyrics are great, I love the themes they use, and all of those creatures! Very creative.

Best of 06, hands down. Compare it to other artists, you can't, no one has done this in recent years, creating such a mind bending story and being able to play their instuments as well. My personal favorites are: Wolf Is Loose, Crystal Skull, Sleeping Giant, Colony Of Birchmen, This Mortal Soil, Siberian Divide. But overall, the whole album is stellar.

reyalis17
    kickass album it has extremely diverse songs and all of them are catchy enough to be singles
    Ibzman
    It's so ****ed up. I listened to it and couldn't compare it to Leviathan, so different, but great nonetheless. It's very original and different than anything you've ever heard.
    bungshal
    The album is such a journey, I'll never be able to get over the sheer brilliance of capping it off with Pendulous Skin.
    metalhead987
    i disagree. i like the album, but i think that leviathan was much better. there are a couple songs that make the entire thing worth it though.
    vanhalenforever
    mastodon will probably always be my favorite metal band, i tabbed out almost every song n blood mountain, and a shit load from other albums, ive learned almost every song on guitar, and I might turn emo if they don't come to Canada at some point. Mastodon is amazing.