Blood Mountain review by Mastodon

• Released: Sep 12, 2006
Mastodon: Blood Mountain

I sit down and press the play button, not knowing what to expect? At first I here only the hollow of the speaker, then in a blast of image and sound I hear Mastodon! At first the tracks whent by with nothing sparking intrest, but then I press repeat and start to hear the record clear now. At first glance the album seems scary or unknown like the monster in the closet, but when you start to look at it again it only wants to be friends, that's what this albums like.

First and formost this not a lyrics album but a musical artist for musical artist album. The guitar, bass, and drums create the tone or place the artist wants you to imagine, Mastodon pulls this of just as well as thay did on thare other albums and creates meny tones of feeling. The lyrics aid to help create that tone and state of being if not effect driven vox then deep gut vox and all of this makes a great sound.

If the album does not stick the frist time around then give it another try because you would be missing out on great music. You can't expect to love to death do us part every track but you can expect to take something away from it's melting pot of sounds. In closeing thoughts I would like to say that this is a great album but it would not be true it does lack at times but makes up for it in shear madness and trueness an that's what music is about madness and trueness.

mchugh92
    this record is a massive improvement from the last two, i love colony of birchmen and circle cysquatch, the whole thing is awesome though and it is best to listen to it in its entirety to truly understand why so many people are into mastodon
    3101Gard
    i bought this cd a few weeks ago after seeing the colony of birchmen vid on tv and its not been out of my player since must be one of the best albums iv heard the guitars, bass and drums are just so skilful and Brent Hinds' voice fits perfectly with every song sleeping giant and colony of birchmen kick ass Mastodon Rock!!
    TrashWhite731
    Useful_Idiot16 wrote : For me, this album is tied with Lamb Of God's new one and Tool's 10,000 Days for best album of the year. dood...the new lamb of god is terrible. there is no comparison there. what so ever.