Blood Mountain review by Mastodon

• Released: Sep 12, 2006
Mastodon: Blood Mountain

The sound and music of Mastodon's Blood Mountain is very unique and awesome. It combines elements of groove metal, stoner metal, and progressive metal. The story is described by Troy Sanders (bass/vocals) "It's about climbing up a mountain and the different things that can happen to you when you're stranded on a mountain, in the woods, and you're lost. You're starving, hallucinating, running into strange creatures. You're being hunted. It's about that whole struggle." I love the style of Mastodon uses in Blood Mountain, there's a lot of nice sludgy and groovy riffs, and the drummer really pounds on his snare a lot, and not in an annoying way. The vocals sound really good in this album also, and it's chop full of groovy bass lines.

Well, I don't pay attention to how well thought out the lyrics are usually in any album I listen to, but they sound great with the music. The lyrics sound great from both singers, the singing and yelling sound really good in this album, I'm not going to say that either of them are the most amazingly skilled singers, because they're not, but they sound damn good at what they do, although it does get annoying when they go overboard with the vocal effects (BladeCatcher).

I think it easily compares just as good if not better than every other Mastodon album, Blood Mountain and Leviathan are a tie with me. The most impressive songs are, Colony of Birchman, The Wolf is Loose, Crystal Skull, Capillarian Crest, Hunters of the Sky and This Mortal Soil. I love everything about it, the guitar melodys, the drumming style, the basslines, and the vocals, I don't really hate anything about it. If it were stolen or lost I'd buy it again for sure.

F-ing Hostile
    The new LOG cd is their best imo
    I_Am_In_Flames
    F-ing Hostile wrote: TrashWhite731 wrote: dood...the new lamb of god is terrible. there is no comparison there. what so ever. The new LOG cd is their best imo
    Agreed.
    Tumble-weed
    Who the hell put Grindcore?! Mastodon is more sludge metal imo. This album was pretty good but their best one was definitively Leviathan.