Leviathan review by Mastodon

• Released: Aug 31, 2004
Mastodon: Leviathan

The sound on this album is very raw and crunchy, yet still has that great production quality. A lot of the songs range in tempo, starting a bit slower and slowly building into chaos, or vice versa. This one would have to be my favorite Mastodon album. The music fits right along with the Moby-Dick theme, giving an "epic sea adventure" feel to the entire record.

What's best about Mastodon's lyrics is that they're blended into the music seemlessly, which is especially important with the screamier kind of vocals. Too many of the growls and screams of today's metal feel like they've been awkwardly thrown on top of the guitars, bass, and drum. Most of the time they're overpowering. Mastodon's lyrics on "Leviathan" take an interesting spin on the story of Moby-Dick. One of the most incredible metal songs ever written, "Blood and Thunder", takes on the whale's perspective in lines such as "I think that someone is trying to kill me/Infecting my blood and destroying my mind/No man of the flesh could ever stop me" and "I am completely emersed in darkness/As I turn my body away from the sun". Mastodon knows how to handle lyrics, as well as how to perfectly blend them into each song without them being overpowering.

As far as Mastodon goes, I am a huge fan of all of their work. "Leviathan" is definitely my favorite album of theirs. The guitar work ranges from blazingly fast to a lower-tempo'ed crunch. If this album were lost, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. This is an album that any fan of rock can easily rock out to, as it's not as alienating as most metal today. Some of the big names like Lamb of God and Trivium can be a turn off to the rock lover, but Mastodon brilliantly bridges the gap between heavy metal and your average rock.

Ozzy87_2
    The best album Mastodon has ever made. And one of the greatest metal albums out there. 'Nuff said.
    mchugh92
    this album is amazing, the instrument-work is so tight, complex and unique, the guitar-work is mind-blowing and keeps you interested, the basswork is nothing short of amazing the drumming is complex and the odd time signatures are a big part of mastodons brand of metal, and to no seatbelt wtf have you been smoking thinking that mastodon sound like green day?!!!
    john21
    i bought this album after blood mountain. i gotta say that leviathan is like a immature young version of mastodon. the sound drowns in many places but i love their sound cause of its uniqueness.
    Eternal Acacia
    Haha, Green Day, only detuned and slowed down? What have you been smoking buddy, Green Day couldn't even DREAM of reaching the pinacle of musicianship that is displayed on this album. Go listen to As I Lay Dying, or whatever other contemporary hardcore bs thats popular with kiddies nowadays.