Leviathan review by Mastodon

Mastodon: Leviathan

The bands sound in Leviathan is quite impressive. Before I decided to sit down and listen to this opus of an album, I wasn't a Mastodon fan at all. But, this album changed my opinion of the band. The concept of the album is based loosely around lauded book Moby Dick, and also represents the element of Water in the bands line of elementally themed releases.The guitars on the album really compliment the Water based theme of the album. The guitar tone fits really well, and the riffs have a watery, seasick feel to them. The drums of Brann Dailor are amazing as usual, and his Jazz influenced metal style really shines on this album. The overall composition of the songs is impressive; as each song holds it's fair share of tempo changes, and and almost all of the songs have technically skillful instrumental breaks. The songs are generally mixed really well, and have a fair balance going for all the instruments. The vocals are dynamic and over all solid, and vary from track to track. As some tracks tend to be heavier on the melodic singing of Bassist Troy Sanders and Guitarist Brent Hinds. And, some tend to focus more on their roaring growls and screams. The only complaint that I have for the album, is the volume of the vocals, that sometimes tend to be kind of quiet in comparison to the rest of the instrument.

The lyrics are quite impressive on this album. The whole album maintains relevency to the concepts of water and Moby Dick, lyric-wise. Quite a few of the songs' lyrics have to do with the story of Moby Dick, and have refrences to the story that are quite obvious. As in "Blood and Thunder"'s roaring chorus "White Whale, Holy Grail". Or in "Seabeast" in which the Harpooner Mr. Queequeg is made refrence to "Dear Mr. Queequeg you have been informed your life's been saved". All in all, I'd say the lyrics on this album are out standing, and quite fitting to the motif, and comply to the over all feel of the songs really well.

Overall, I find Leviathan to be an amazing work of Progressive Metal. Conceptually, Musically, and lyrically. Mastodon has truely released an awesome work of music. I'd reccomend fan's of Metal, Hard Rock, and especially Prog, if you can stand heavier music to check out this opus.

Lion_Slicer
    Yeah that no seatbelt review is garbage. Douche has to be mentally defective. He probably had the album on as background noise as he wanked to MTV. Seriously UG needs to remove it, it has nothing in the way of helpful information or intelligence. 5 perfect 10 reviews tho? You can't just give out 10s like candy! Which is why I'm excited to see an album like this that actually DESERVES 10 reviews get so many lol. This album is a landmark in prog/metal, and a watershed for everything right about music. Mastodon is easily one of the best metal bands in the world, let alone the US. Leviathan demands your worship!
    Guardian1108
    a truly amazing band, some them live recently and it was the BEST FUCKING SHOW IVE EVER SEEN!!!
    Jimmy-G
    This is why the world is ****ed up there are people out there who actually compare mastodon to green day WTF green day has zero talent and the people that listen to them dont have the slightest sense of musicianship everything about mastodon rocks and they are incredibaly talented this album is amazing as are all of mastodons albums
    Jimmy-G
    sebasla93
    most talented band to emerge in years. this is the band that made this decade worth to live, along with between the buried and me. i dont understand how some mother****er (no seatbelt) are allowed to live. he doesnt deserve to have listened to this album. UG erase that review!!!! MASTODON ROCKS!!!!!
    BearCaveEcho
    That frickin' review is the only reason that this review is not a 9/10!!! Green Day?!?!?!?!? No way!!! I can't wee the resemblance or want to comprehend why they made that resemblance..... Mastodon trumps Green Day. No way IN HELL They sound alike. I think I want to cry.....
    MotörHeadFan22
    I'm glad we finally have some new blood out there, i love mastodon, and their album covers are so epic, not on par with Maiden, but close enough. And Mastodon, and greenday shouldn't even be in the same sentance