Remission review by Mastodon

• Released: May 28, 2002
Mastodon: Remission

This is now one of my favourite bands, and this would have to be the best CD. I love Leviathan, but this has some killer tracks that just can't be ignored. I hear people say how they're so weird and they're not worth listening to, but that's what this world needs, new unique metal. Not the same faggots whining about being dumped by their girlfriends. Some of the tracks sound too staticy and not refined enough, and some of the vocals can be a bit too rough, but overall this is a work of art. You can hear the metalness in every track. My favourites have to be "Mother Puncher", that delivers one of the best harmonic intros I've ever heard, to "Workhorse", a brutal anthem for anyone who's worked a day in their life and knows how much it sucks. And "March of the Fire Ants", which was the first single from this album and one of the best heavy tracks on this disc. The sound varies from heavy songs like those, to slower, softer ones like Trainwreck and O'le Nessie.

Mastodon's lyrics, while baffling, are unique and captivating. They get you thinking and pull you in. Brent and Troy work like a 2 man army, beating you down with their crunching growls and primal yells. What makes them so cool is they're unlike most vocalists, they don't have raw singing talent but they can still sound menacing and aren't bad to listen to. Some of the songs, like Workhorse, you can really relate to, while others, like Burning Man and Trilobite, may make no sense at all.

My overall impression is I'm blown away by this awesome band that should be way more popular. This cd quite compares to Leviathan, which I believe has better vocal tracks, but this is definately the heavier of the equation. I wasn't always a fan of Mastodon, but once I heard them, I was hooked. I've gotten all 3 CDs so far, and I can't wait to hear their next. Go pick this up, I would definately buy it twice, it's well worth it.

curtain1080
    its chimaira who covered disposable heroes and mastodon did orion, the instrumental track. unless they did it independently of that metallica remastered cd? ps. no crowd interaction? ive seen mastodon twice and troy is fantastic, completely nuts and hes so into the music its a joy to watch.
    feesk8ordie
    One of the best ****ing bands ever. I seriously mean it, that's no exaggeration. And not good live??? What the ****? They're one of the most brutal, intense live bands I've ever seen.
    Mr.Chainsaw
    They're really not great live, just alright. I don't like seeing bands live when the singer plays an instument, not enough crowd interaction...
    kevhead
    amazingly brutal cd. Still dont know if its my favourite mastodon cd, there all so good.
    Eternal Acacia
    Though "Blood Mountain" is my favorite MAstodon release, and is what really got me to look deeper into Mastodon, Mother Puncher is, without a doubt, my favorite Mastodon song, and I'd even go as far to say favorite song in general, eclipsing all the genres of music that I listen to. It is an utter cacophany of musical bliss, and encompasses everything I love about metal. The sheer brutality of the bludgeoning drums, the oddball time signatures and tempo changes of the guitars, it's all amazing. Seeing them play this live is even better.
    Josh Laiho
    This was actually my second Mastodon album, my first was Leviathan, but when I first heard this album, I didn't like it that much, but the other day I put it in and I was like "wow, this is some good shit" It's not my favorite Mastodon album, which is actually Leviathan, but it did take me a while to get into this album. It only took me a few listens to get into Leviathan and also Blood Mountain. But I find the clean part on Trilobite to be creepy, I don't know why. But I love it. My favorite song off this album is probably Elephant Man. For some reason, I love Mastodons instrumental tracks. I can't wait for Crack the Skye. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be badass.
    yngwie2013
    ratracekid111 wrote: I CANT FIND THIS CRAP!!!
    i see it every time i go to my local best buy
    spiritcrusher91
    This is still my favorite Mastodon CD! I love all their other CD's though! I remember seeing them live in Dubai Desert Rock Festival 2007 with In Flames, Stone Sour, and Iron Maiden! It was great! I even met Troy Sanders while Maiden were playing! They're a worhtwhile band to see live!
    bearsfan092
    I have all the Mastodon albums, but this one probably endures the test of time best. It's pretty fresh, no matter how many times you listen to it. Definitely up among my favorite albums.