The Hunter review by Mastodon

• Released: Sep 26, 2011
Mastodon: The Hunter

Being a long time fan of Mastodon, loving every piece of music the Mastodonians have ever put out, I have to say, "The Hunter" was a big suprise. A KICK A-S SUPRISE! I popped this in my computer and clicked track one, "Black Tongue". Yea it was released early, but still, I was completely cream jeaned. As the album progressed, I heard a lot more of Brann Dailor's singing in songs like "Dry Bone Valley" and "Creature Lives". Apparently Dailor composed and sang the entire song "Creature Lives". He should do that more often. This is my favorite song off of an album with many favorite songs. Also the guitar work is melodical and technical in some parts, and just plain heavy in other parts, and that's just plain Mastodon sound right there.

On the band site, they would post some lyrics like 3 months early, and I was really puzzled. I didn't understand them at all, but now that they have some instruments backing them up, its all coming together like something green in something along the lines of a "zig-zag". If you catch my drift. Again, the album has a song that was written by Dailor, and sang by Him too, and its truly a musical masterpiece.

This album is going in my mental catalogue, same with my CD collection, in the section titled "Bada-sery of Bada-sness-ness", Right beside all the other Mastodon. I love the progressive direction they're going with their music. I can't believe they did it, but they topped "Crack The Skye".

Linkerman
    Even though i really like all Mastodon albums, i loved "Crack The Skye", and it set a new standard for what i personally expect from them. "The Hunter" did not disappoint. Brilliant album. F***in' A!!
    StayBlack
    This Album is really good. Im not even gonna read the reviews or hear other peoples opininions. They posted the full album on youtube so you can check it out. HIGHLY recommended.
    Burnzyburns
    I'm not saying it's bad, but this album feels so... oddly happy to me. It just hasn't sat right thus far for me. More spins for sure.
    bearsfan092
    Eh, I'm not feeling it as much as the others. It lacks Remission heaviness, Blood Mountain quirkiness, or Crack the Skye... uh... whatever it is that makes CTS good.
    TRexJoser
    stondagain wrote: We were in the car going to dinner last night, and I had this on. My girlfriend said "That's the new Mastodon? I really like this, it's not like their other stuff." Take from that what you will.
    I can listen to Mastodon and the ladies will dig it too. Nice.
    oncetaken
    This album seems to be missing the heavy weird stuff that I love Mastodon for. The songs all seem like neat little radio packages instead of meandering metal pieces. I guess the album's good, but it seems a little too cut and dry for Mastodon.
    barden1069
    I listened to this album 14 times within the first two days after it was released. The songs that don't punch you in the nuggets right away are real growers. While it doesn't have the cohesion of a concept album, it's definitely a fantastic record.
    cteez910
    SGofawesome
    My favorite Mastodon record yet. Simpler style of metal, which I like. Not that Crack the Skye wasn't godly, it was amazing BECAUSE of its complexity. But as a person who likes groove, this is a better alternative for me.
    atomic667
    ckysteve5 wrote: As atomic667 so eloquently stated in his review; I think "cream-jeaned" pretty much sums up this album
    Hell yes it does. Right through the underwear and on the denim.
    Rimjob4acowboy
    mitchell.minami wrote: Is this album much different from Crack the Skye? I mean they change all the time anyway, but I'm just curious.
    There are some songs that i think could have been on crack the skye, like the song the hunter, but it is pretty different and really good. Idk if its as good as crack the skye though, maybe on my 52nd listen it will be.
    Joe_Wilcox
    "The Sparrow" - A tipped hat to Brent's deceased relative. It really is the "Joseph Merrick" of "The Hunter" only with more emotion... And lyrics.
    This isn't strictly true. To clarify, the name of the album and the song, "The Hunter", are tributed to Brent's recently deceased brother, who suddenly died whilst out hunting. "The Sparrow" is for the recently deceased wife of Mastodon's accountant (I think!) who's mantra was "Pursue happiness with dilligence" i.e. the only lyrics for the whole song. Anyway, I think this album is amazing. Yeah, definitely more progressive and a little more, dare i say, "rocky", but the music and instrumentation is so much more mature and developed than their earlier albums, even if they have softened up their sound a bit, but I'd rather hear a band grow than stagnate. And personally, i think Creature Lives is great!
    sinterpol
    This album is tits! Stargasm is my favorite track right now. Can't stop listening to this album!
    Disturbdkornkid
    This is definitely more in the same direction as Blood Mountain but goddamn is it good. I still like Crack the Skye better but only by a hair.
    sherwood123
    I'm not digging this album, however i fully expected not to. Give me remission or lifesblood any day
    SOADriff
    I think this is a very solid album, definitely didn't falter mastodons standards at all and was more than i was expecting after hearing Black Tongue, Curl of The Burl and Spectrelight. That said, at the moment it sits at mastodons weakest album in my opinion. It seems to lack that emotional connection and sense of direction the earlier records had (maybe due to the lack of a concept). But that said, i hated CTS when i first heard it now it's my favourite record of all time. 1. Crack The Skye 2. Leviathan. 3. Blood Mountain 4. Remission 5. The Hunter
    CapnKickass
    I'd say 1. Crack the Skye 2. Call of the Mastodon 3. Leviathan and Remission 4. The Hunter 5. Blood Mountain
    bokma
    I like it. I feel like it's a blend of their past works together.
    MrPajamaShark
    cteez910 wrote: Blood Mountain's still my favorite, then CRack the Skye, then Leviathan, then The Hunter. But that could change with time. This album just has a different feel than all their others to me. It seems less like one piece of art and more like a collection of their best new material at the time. Dont get me wrong, i do like the album, but idk what it is. maybe i Just dont get it yet. I feel less like im going on a journey with Mastodon in their previous albums (mainly Crack the Skye)and more like im just listening to a Mastodon album...if that makes any sense.
    I think that's what they were going for. This is their only non-concept album besides Remission. With Blood Mountain, Leviathan, and Crack the Skye, it was all written like a story, and for The Hunter, they just wrote. Personally, I love it. Mastodon is Mastodon. Does it beat Crack the Skye? A couple hundred more listens will help me decide.
    RocknRollRay
    very random album, good songs but i wish i could hear 10 minutes of stargasm. kinda forgettable songs imo
    CapnKickass
    I killed a man 'cuz he killed my goat. I put my hands around his throat. He tried to reason with the sky and the clouds, but it didn't matter 'cuz they can't hear a sound. The lyrics are great. I like how big the bass guitar sounds too.
    Shazazmic
    RocknRollRay wrote: id also like to comment on how ridiculous it is that opeth's heritage got way lower ratings than this album. well i guess this site is made up of mostly metalheads so that's to be expected. 8/10 at best, im on a Tool phase right now.
    Heritage was super meh :| This album is slightly better
    Battman1993
    The title track is one of the best songs I've heard this year. The album is #2 on my list of 2011 best albums right now, right behind the new Machine Head.
    Amuro Jay
    I listened to Curl Of The Burl and got a huge QOTSA vibe from it. Needless to say, I enjoyed it more than any other Mastodon I've heard.
    ryan19
    The Hunter is an excellent album. Crack the Skye is my favorite Mastodon album right now but this might change soon. I love the groovy, shorter tunes on this.
    AngryGoldfish
    I have to say, I'm vibing this album even less than I did Crack the Skye when I first listened to it all the way through after it came out. I did eventually learn to love CTS but I can't see myself loving The Hunter. It's decent, though, as to be expected.
    OniSilverburst
    I like to describe this album when asked, as if Crack the Skye and Blood Mountain had a baby. An awesome 3-jawed-cow baby. Total eargasm!
    bornIIhula
    ImagineTheThorn wrote: It's definitely going to take some more spins before I decide if I like it or not. And I do believe that review up top is EXTREMELY biased. Lol
    Dude everything is biased.
    MrKyran
    ...Anyone else here Pink Floyd inspiration in there? Amazing album.
    Shinozoku
    peachesenregali wrote: gonna check this out, never got this band (most boring band Ive ever seen actually) but I get the feeling Im just missing something
    Smoke week, THEN listen to them.
    crocoscar
    I really don't know what to say about this album right now, but I feel it's gonna grow on me as CTS did
    robertito696
    All the build up to the release left me very hesitant, but after one listen I was completely sold. Like CtS, it was such a departure I was unsure if I'd like it as much as Remission or Leviathan, but both CtS and The Hunter ended up fantastic in their own right.
    RocknRollRay
    fartsyjoe420
    absolutely couldn't be happier with this release. CTS turned into one of my all time favorite albums, and i was nervous that this couldn't live up to the hype. but it surpassed with flying colors. long live mastodon!
    stondagain
    ARMAGEDDON_IT
    ^ Your username made me chuckle. Needless to say, picked this up yesterday and it's already one of my favourites of the year so far.
    adamzam
    Whats with all the Mastodon dick sucking going on? It's not that good every song TO ME sounds the same and its missing the sludgyness of all their older stuff. i mean somethings should stay the same drop A and prehistoric riffs that aren't layered to a point where it just sounds like random guitar scales being played over top of each other.
    Domine6377
    blasteroid is my favorite so far. im not a huge metal guy but i gotta throw it up for this band purely amazing. loved crack the sky and am loving the hunter. the lyrics in blasteroid and vocals are amazing. the song has so much speed and frenzy then the vocals just bring all the rage into focus
    vegetassj4
    I came listening to this album. I have heard it about 5 times from beginning to end and I've had it for a day, and I'll probably listen to it a lot more. The only people that lose here are my jizzed pants.
    intoeternity54
    if you dont like this album i just feel pitty for you. cuz these guys are older and more classic and the wanna groove it out "keep smoking them joints" is was what troy said but they all keep doing it. they tripped to much and lost there minds thats what brent said for crack the skye. so the new stuff is just whats left. life changes and influences all music. want these guys to stay like godsmack? god no enjoy this album stoned or perhaps to some beers. maybe youll understand
    Ultraussie
    I think its funny how the reveiwer rates everything 10, but then goes on to say that these tracks were not good at all and generic. I still will give this a listen when I get bandwiths.