Voices Review

Matchbook Romance: Voices
Release Date: Feb 14, 2006
Label: Epitaph
Genres: Indie Rock, Post-Hardcore, Emo
"Voices" holds close to MBR's emotional, post hardcore roots while delivering massive sing-along choruses that'll carry the band to the widest possible audience.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
Voices Reviewed by: Church!, on april 17, 2006

Sound: Nice melodic styles that are pushed up by a rock-style core of the music, they vary and are good in each of their own ways, most songs are easily catchy, which will result in much replaying. The CD the case even contains a hidden message to decypher, and it looks as if there is a central meaning surrounding this CD. They also use other instruments to accompany thier own, which expands their appeal. Overall their talent is common, but very much above average, a lot of the strength of this CD lies in the formation and composition of each song. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very emotional, and sincere, to comply with the music, it can parallel the music well or bounce off it greatly, but the style allows both to work extremely well, if you like good singing, the singer is naturally good, sometimes he leans toward a common sound but there is a slight variation of his voice that allows for a good new experience. // 9

Overall Impression: It is a good overlooked competitor for a lot of artists and should grow larger, as the years go on, my favorite song from this album is My Mannequin Can Dance, but I have never made it all the way through the final track, which is a wholloping 15 minutes long, over all this album was a good blind investment, because I had never heard of them before now. // 9

Voices Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2006

Sound: Where to begin with the sound? A lot darker, that's easy though. So dark that it is easy to "feel" how much of them was put into it. With all the diminised chords, minored, and augmented chords, anybody wanting something other than power and major chords has found their home. Slightly innovated in the sense that not too many bands can pull off the dark creepy sound but have lyrics that are dark at all. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically it's very poetic. Simply put it's straight from the heart and to say any less would be border line blasphemy. Oddly enough, though the lyrics aren't necessarly dark or creepy, the fit perfectly with the music. The lead singer Andrew Jordan's voice is well-above average. It's different when you first hear it but it soon sticks to you making it perfectly clear that this voice was made for this music. // 10

Overall Impression: After hearing many of my favorite artists' third CD release (Taking Back Sunday - Louder Now, Hoobastank - Every Man For Himself, etc), it's quite plain to see that Matchbook Romance hasn't run out of ideas. While most bands tend to "sell-out" after they make a major label CD (Taking Back Sunday in particular), Matchbook Romance has renovated their sound for the better. Best song on the CD? That's a hard question. Ultimately Say It Like You Mean It comes at the top of the list. But there is not one song on the CD that you wouldn't want to hit repeat and listen to over and over. The only complaint I have about the CD is the art work on inside doesn't seem to go well with the music. But that doesn't matter. Definitely worth buying or illegally downloading. But preferably buying. // 10

Voices Reviewed by: MUSE676, on august 28, 2006

Sound: At first this album seems good but not particularly different from 'Stories & Alibis' or a lot of other bands. But after a few listens of some songs it is clear that this album is very unique and sets itself apart from so many bands that people generally put in the same category. This album was recorded in a peaceful farm. although I'm not sure of the farms exact origin. This album is different from 'Stories & Alibis' in that it is a lot more experimental and the songs are less standard rock songs and more epic geneous. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics don't particularly stand out as amazing but they do however fit in to the songs perfectly. The lyrics in 'Monsters' for instance fit in beautifully to the music. I think the best song lyric-wise is 'Goody, Like Two Shoes' the song tells a story of an escape and in it's seven minutes has numerous peaks and troughs. With lyrics like: "I'm tired of making love to a memory" (from Surrender) it's hard to see why MR aren't the biggest band around at the moment. The singer (I'm not sure what his name is) doesn't immediatly stand out as being a great singer but when you listen to the songs properly it is clear that there are few singers that could pull these songs off as well as he does. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. You Can Run But We'll Find You - a great start to the album. A lovely piano and guitar intro turns into a fast palm muted verse then a surprisingly light chorus. One of the best songs on the album. 02. Surrender - a song that took me a few listens to properly appretiate. With lines like "I give up, these are my dreams, my beliefs, I want to trade them in for something real" I can't see why I didn't instantly love it. 03. My Mannequin Can Dance - a heavy song from start to finish. Not one of the best on the album but still a great song. 04. Goody, Like Two Shoes - easily my favorite on the album. Not a particularly popular song with most MR fans though. the seven minute long story of what I think is an escape of some kind completely takes you in and leaves you stuned when it's finished. 05. Monsters - a catchy clean guitar riff starts the song. Then the verse comes in with hand-claps in the backround. Then explodes into the electrifying chorus. Great solo too. A brilliant song. 06. Say It Like You Mean It - one of my personal favorites. The song starts with beautiful clean guitar then blasts into distorted epic chords. Sounds like the perfect song to play at the end of a film. 07. Portrait - a typical MR song. Nevertheless it is a hatefull revengeful and angry song that fills your head with amazing images. 08. Singing Bridges (We All Fall) - again, beautiful clean guitar starts the song. With a distorted solo coming in above it. Half time drums make the song feel slow until the epic chorus. 09. Fiction - a very heavy hateful song. also a very fast song. I would love to see this live. 10. What A Sight - yet again, a clean guitar intro. A sad song that tells a story. All in all a sad moving song. 11. Wish You Were Here - my third favorite song on the album (behind Goody, Like Two Shoes and Monsters) a deeply saddening song. Just guitar and some very quite harmoica. Also an acoustic hidden track included. In my opinion this is not just a step but I giant leap forward from 'Stories & Alibis' more meaningful and deep songs. If it were lost/stolen I would definitly buy another, or maybe two more incase I lost one. // 10

Comments