Mad Season Review

Matchbox Twenty: Mad Season
Released: May 23, 2000
Label: Atlantic
Genres: Post-Grunge, Pop/Rock, Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, American Trad Rock
Even with those occasional missteps, the end result is a strong, unabashedly mainstream record that finds the band coming into their own.
 9.6
 9.1
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Mad Season Reviewed by: henryt-bags, on september 27, 2005

Sound: I've had this CD for more than two years now, and yesterday, I finally sat down down and listened to it. Man, it rocks! From their slow rythmitic chords to their heavy riffs, they really reset the bar set by their original album, Yourself Or Someone Like You. The album kicks off with Angry, a fast song driven by an acoustic guitar in the first verse, and lifted by the electric guitar in the chorus. From then on, the album doesn't stop delivering with fast-paced drums, awesome basslines, and brilliant guitar solos. // 10

Lyrics: These guys don't fail to deliver on lyrics either. The songs range from themes of loss (If Your Gone, Last Beautiful Girl), anger (Angry), crazy relationships (Mad Season, Bent), and guilt (Bed Of Lies). Also, great vocals on Rob Thomas' part, especially in Bed Of Lies. His voice goes really well with the music, which is much heavier than their previous album, so huge props for that as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Although they have split up, Matchbox 20 have certainly made their mark in the music industry. This CD is everything that made famous and more. It is more rocky and hardcore than anything else they've done before, which was a big change for them and the risk paid off. This is definitely one of my favourite CDs at the moment. My favourite tracks are If Your Gone, Bent, Bed Of Lies, and Last Beautiful Girl. I copied the tracks CD to my computer, so I'm not fussed if it gets stolen but if they get deleted from my computer I'll get seriously pissed. // 10

Comments