More Than You Think You Are review by Matchbox Twenty

• Released: Nov 19, 2002
Matchbox Twenty: More Than You Think You Are

The band seems to be going back to the sound of their first album which isn't bad at all. I'm not saying "Mad Season" was a bad album, it is actually excellent, but the sound was different and it's hard to imagine the band doing a second album with the same type of jazz mixed with contemporary music. However, you do get a sense of "Mad Season" when listening to "Disease" and "All I Need". This album also features their heaviest songs, "Feel" and "Cold".

Rob Thomas has continued his near flawless song writing skills in this album. It's also nice to see that all of the lyrics, aren't as depressing as in the past and now have feelings of hope mixed with sadness. The fairly unique voice of Thomas is also as welcoming as ever, as the lyrics fit the music perfectly.

I would say this album is all-around better than "Yourself or Someone Like You", and whether its better than "Mad Season" is up to you, because they sound very different than each other. The best songs on this album are "Unwell", "Disease", "Cold", "Hand Me Down", "Downfall" and "The Difference". The other songs are almost just as excellent. My only complaint for the album would be that there isn't enough upbeat songs. Thats not to say that I would trade any of the songs on the album for one though. I would definately buy this album again if I lost it. Or better yet, burn a copy and put the original album with your other cd's.

rohanrulz23
    amazing album. their best in my opinion. hand me down is my favourite song on the album.