Matt Mays + El Torpedo review by Matt Mays

• Released: May 10, 2005
Matt Mays: Matt Mays + El Torpedo

This is Matt Mays' second studio album, and first with accompanying El Torpedo. The album is amazing start to finish. Each song is crafted brilliantly, and is very easilly excessable by the listener. The progressions in most songs are fairly usual and simple, but Mays' and fellow guitarist Jarrett Murphy's melodies and solos bring another level into play. Hailing from the East coast of Canada, these boys play true Canadian rock, joining the ranks of other pinnacle Canadian musicians like Sam Roberts. Once you pop this record into your CD player, it wont be leaving for a long, long time. Once you start listening, it's hard to stop. Definatly one of my favourite albums I own. it's been released in Canada now for about a year or so, and was recently released in the US in November.

Matt Mays has a mostly storylike lyircal style. All 14 tracks on this album ring out with individual tales and memorable lines such as: "Lookin' back through the chapters of your life /Searching for the storyline" from Cocaine Cowgirl. Every song is loaded with fresh ideas and stories that a listener will never find themselves cringing to a cliche at. Of course all words go along with the music brilliantly, but I have rarely come across an artist or band whos lyrics and music don't match up. However, everything flows so perfectly on this album! Matt Mays voice is quite unique, and although being quite mellow in almost every track it fits every part of a song he brilliantly. He is very easy to understand as well, which I think is important becuase it makes the music very easy to absorb. Even so, new lines are discovered every time you listen because of the amount of great material in every track.

This album is on par (and better at times) with even the best in the Canadian music scene. They've experienced a little exposure on MuchMusic with videos for Cocaine Cowgirl and Time of your life. They have also been played across the country on the radio with other tracks such as On the hood and the two mentioned above. If I could stress anything, it would be for these guys to get some more publicity! They are amazing, and not many people have heard them before. I would recommend everyone to have a listen. It's very easy to listen to, and never gets tiring to hear. If I had to choose my favourite tracks out of the 14 favourites I have on the album, they would have to be: Aint So Heavy, St. Georgias Lane, and Time of Your Life. I'm giving this album a perfect 10/10 becuase I love everything about it, and there isnt one second of bad music. While most bands struggle to produce an album of 14 songs without any filler or weak points, Matt Mays and El Torpedo have proved that it's fairly easy to make an amazing album with no low points. This album is a constant reminder that great music is always out there. If it were stolen I would probably collapse and cry for a few minutes, then go buy a new one. Although I think it would be hard to steal since it's probably been melted into my car's CD player from being in there for 5 months.

guitarwhiz234
    yah it a great album i discovered them when they came to town last may openeing for black crowes, Winnipeg. they are coming back to town on Jan 23 cant wait. the song "what are we gonna do come the month of september" is mt fav but the whole album is amazing. the first album is good same with when angels make contact. Keep on rocking Matt Mays and El torpedo
    mbizzy
    Yea dude, they tour together and whatnot...joel plaskett tours alot with the too. Pretty sick album also.
    hipster
    Matt Mays is a great songwriter. His concerts are high energy and his fans are enthusiastic amd very loyal. Unfortunately, he does not get very much airplay, even in Canada. He does not have the "machine" behind him so he will not receive enough well-deserved exposure. There are too many Lady Gaga's and Black-Eyed Peas kind of acts out there. That being said - I love his music and have seen him in concert about 20 times in 3 years. I have met him and he is a nice guy. Check out videos on You Tube or on "Q" with Jian Ghomeshi.