Matt Mays + El Torpedo Review

9.7
 9.4
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Matt Mays + El Torpedo Reviewed by: D_evo, on december 12, 2006

Sound: This is Matt Mays' second studio album, and first with accompanying El Torpedo. The album is amazing start to finish. Each song is crafted brilliantly, and is very easilly excessable by the listener. The progressions in most songs are fairly usual and simple, but Mays' and fellow guitarist Jarrett Murphy's melodies and solos bring another level into play. Hailing from the East coast of Canada, these boys play true Canadian rock, joining the ranks of other pinnacle Canadian musicians like Sam Roberts. Once you pop this record into your CD player, it wont be leaving for a long, long time. Once you start listening, it's hard to stop. Definatly one of my favourite albums I own. it's been released in Canada now for about a year or so, and was recently released in the US in November. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Mays has a mostly storylike lyircal style. All 14 tracks on this album ring out with individual tales and memorable lines such as: "Lookin' back through the chapters of your life /Searching for the storyline" from Cocaine Cowgirl. Every song is loaded with fresh ideas and stories that a listener will never find themselves cringing to a cliche at. Of course all words go along with the music brilliantly, but I have rarely come across an artist or band whos lyrics and music don't match up. However, everything flows so perfectly on this album! Matt Mays voice is quite unique, and although being quite mellow in almost every track it fits every part of a song he brilliantly. He is very easy to understand as well, which I think is important becuase it makes the music very easy to absorb. Even so, new lines are discovered every time you listen because of the amount of great material in every track. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is on par (and better at times) with even the best in the Canadian music scene. They've experienced a little exposure on MuchMusic with videos for Cocaine Cowgirl and Time of your life. They have also been played across the country on the radio with other tracks such as On the hood and the two mentioned above. If I could stress anything, it would be for these guys to get some more publicity! They are amazing, and not many people have heard them before. I would recommend everyone to have a listen. It's very easy to listen to, and never gets tiring to hear. If I had to choose my favourite tracks out of the 14 favourites I have on the album, they would have to be: Aint So Heavy, St. Georgias Lane, and Time of Your Life. I'm giving this album a perfect 10/10 becuase I love everything about it, and there isnt one second of bad music. While most bands struggle to produce an album of 14 songs without any filler or weak points, Matt Mays and El Torpedo have proved that it's fairly easy to make an amazing album with no low points. This album is a constant reminder that great music is always out there. If it were stolen I would probably collapse and cry for a few minutes, then go buy a new one. Although I think it would be hard to steal since it's probably been melted into my car's CD player from being in there for 5 months. // 10

Comments