Avalanche review by Matthew Good

• Released: Mar 4, 2003
Matthew Good: Avalanche

The sound that this album creates is superb. This album has a unique, orchestral, full sound that hasn't been matched by any other album, including his most recent one, White Light Rock And Roll Review. It seems amazing to me that he created this entire album in only three short monthes. According to Good, he wanted everything to be "paramount." I guess I was just having an artistic break through. He makes full use of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra and still manages to rock hard. And even if you don't love the riffs, you've got to love the tone that his lead guitarist has. His bassist is also very good (who really shines in his next album), and his drummer is not incredible, but perfect for Good's songs and very talented.

Matthew Good is now making his transition from lyrics about sex (Hello Time Bomb, Suburbia, Let's Get it On) and simple micellaneous stories about people he find interesting (Jenni's Song, Failing the Rorschach Test) to political lyrics (Pledge of Allegiance, 21st Century Living, While we Were Hunting Rabbits, Near fantastica). That's not to say that he still doesn't right about other things, such as his life, (he has one fairly emo like song at the end called House of Smoke and Mirrors), and girls (Song For The Girl). 21st Century Living has such an odd sound to it, sometimes I feel that it relies completely on the lyrics, and its lyrics are angry and at many points witty. Many lines will stick in your head and give you shivers such as "we're all monkeys, in a long line of kings." Matthew Good is the master at doing that, and that's why I live his music so much.

Sorry to just be giving out another perfect review, but this album compares with no other (including any MGB albums), and I believe everyone should experience it. The most incredible songs are Lullaby for The New World Order, While We Were Hunting Rabbits, Bright End of Nowhere, and Avalanche. I can't really pick a favourite, House of Smoke & Mirrors is incredible too. To be blunt, the only really weak song is 21st Century Living, and even that one has merit once you've really given it a chance. This sound isn't for everyone, because many Matt Good fans of the past may miss the "rock hard" sound, and they should try his new album. But for people who can appreciate unique, full sounding music, with incredible lyrics, Avalanche is definitely worth a listen.