Bath review by maudlin of the Well

maudlin of the Well: Bath

Not many albums are as emotionally gripping as Maudlin Of The Well's Bath. The album is composed from lucid dreams that frontman Toby Driver that found while using the practice of astral projection. Bath is the band's second release and it's ultimately a hidden classic. Most people know the band through Toby's project Kayo Dot which are more of a progression of MOTW. The record mixes and matches with so many genres. It's main base is metal but it is so much more than your average metal album. Genres including classical, jazz, indie, prog and doom metal are all put into it. The guitars switch from life-threatening heavy distortion to light breezy acoustics. The drums are never really the focus here but for what they do, it's perfect. Aside from the typical rock instruments, it also includes clarinet, saxophone and other jazz type instruments which help add to the original sound that Maudlin Of The Well portray.

Toby is a lyrical genius. That's all that needs to be said really but I shall go on. The lyrics usually suit the dark mood of the songs and always seem to have a bigger meaning to it than what is shown on the surface. It's nice to always put your own meaning to the songs which is what I do. Toby's voice is always emotional, his clean vocals are extremely enjoyable while his death metal-esque growls are frightening. Toby knows how to put emotion into his voice as shown by tracks such as Heaven and Weak and Geography. In Heaven and Weak, he shows his two sides with aggressive vocals and plenty of relaxing moments as well. One of my favourite moments in music is when Toby's voice just drips with emotion in Geography when the final time he sings, "sleep on your birthday and cry". Overall top-notch lyrical and vocal performance.

Every song here is a winner, there is not a dull moment in it. My favourite tracks being They Aren't All Beautifull, Heaven And Weak, Girl With A Watering Can and the epic ballad Geography. It is a shame that such work of art is not well known or even heard of on this site. Everything about it is perfect and I'm not being unfairly biased. You must try this out for yourself if you want to experience the joy I've had listening to this. The acoustic passages are just I need to let the emotions all out and the heavy aggressive bits cure my cravings for something heavier. Do not disregard this as "just another metal album" as it is so much more than that. This is an experience, not just a random music album that you can throw about. I hope you listen to this and find out all I'm saying for yourself.

AmorVincitOmnia
    Very good band.. But so you know, Toby didn't write the lyrics. I think it was Jason Byron who did.. And I think he also did the death growls. But Toby was still the brains behind the band.
    Noremak
    maudlin of the well has easily become one of my favorite bands. it is the music ive been looking for my whole life. this album is great. all of them are.
    vulcan422
    I think Leaving Your Body Map is more extreme, and harsher then Bath, but both of them are true works of art. Some people think it would be idiotic to pay a high price for music, but I could see myself paying hundreds of dollars for the two albums on vinyl.
    Music_Eater
    indeed Toby didn't write the lyrics for this one and Jason did so, however all the vocals are done by Toby and he writes/ wrote all the lyrics for Kayo Dot. There is a huge concept behind Bath and Leaving Your Body Map, being twin albums, it's really worth checking out, otherwise pretty good review pos'd.