A Certain Trigger review by Maxïmo Park

• Released: May 31, 2005
Maxïmo Park: A Certain Trigger

Superb! At last a band that seem to be putting together good songs rather than commercial rubbish! Chart friendly singles and a darker side to the music. Clearly an art school kinda band but seem to have something up and over on the likes of Franz Ferdinand. Sounds like a cross between XTC, Wire And The Fall in the vocals and Weller's playing in the jam! Sounds really jangly, typical of the rickenbacker used to record the album.

Lets face it. The guy isn't the greatest singer we've ever heard but his brash and coarse northern accent makes it easy on the ears. The lyrics are well put together and in places quite comical. Also there are moments on the album that anyone can relate to them in some way. It's clever!

What can I say? In my opinion this album has left every other art pop band trailing in its wake. They don't come much better. I've seen them live and although the vocals are weak the buzz that has been surrounding the band since early this year seems to make the experience like nothing else! The outstanding tracks are: Graffiti, Apply Some Pressure, The Coast Is Always Changing and The Unknown Limasol, simply brilliant.