A Certain Trigger review by Maxïmo Park

• Released: May 31, 2005
Maxïmo Park: A Certain Trigger

The thing that modern music is missing nowadays is insanity. Extremely good britpop bands like Kaiser Cheifs come few and far between, bands that don't mind how crazy or jumpy there music is. Maximo Park is an excellent breath of fresh air in this department. The zany approach to music is just the thing that post-Kaiser Cheif fans need. Their music ranges form fast to slow, short to long, in fact, one of the song is half spoken word, and it still works!

Maximo Park's lyrics are emotional, witty, and it shows just how insane the band is. Anyone who would get on stage and shout: "I would love to see you undressed!" is braver than they are smart. The znay lyrics go with the zany music with complete perfection, and the singing is easily coherant and in tune. Spot on.

Franz Ferdinand and Kaiser Cheifs fans would consider this "the next step." Maximo Park is not perfect, a couple of song could perhaps be tinkered with, but what bands are perfect in this day and age? The cavalcade of good songs from 'Apply Some Pressure' to 'The Night I Lost My Head' will keep the listener fully interested. If I had lost this album, I would have sobbed for 10 minutes before going out and buying it again.