Anywhere But Here review by Mayday Parade

• Released: Oct 6, 2009
  • Reviewer's score: 6.3 Neat
Mayday Parade: Anywhere But Here

Mayday Parades sound was distinct among other pop/punk bands before the creation of Anywhere But Here. After hearing Go Radio, Jason Lancasters new band, I've come to the conclusion that Mayday is not quite what they once were. Signing to Atlantic records might also be behind the weakness of their latest effort. The problem I see in their new sound, is that it's far to polished and lacks the grit and emotion found in their former works. The sound is not bad, but it isn't Mayday Parade the way we know them. The bottom line is that it sounds like a We the Kings album, if We the Kings could write music as good as Mayday. (No offense to We the Kings). The new straight up pop/punk sound might attract fans of bands like We the Kings, All Time Low and Every Avenue, but it's a bit of a disappointment to fans like myself who were hoping they would pursue the more Taking Back Sunday side of their sound.

Derek Sanders is still a great lyricist. You can still hear the old Mayday Parade emotion and wit in certain songs like, "If you can't live without me, why aren't you dead yet?". However, to many of the tracks lack the intelligent emo that I think Jason Lancaster might have taken with him. They are replaced by some well written tracks that don't draw you in emotionally. They make you realize that they could be better, they're just...not. Derek does prove that he can hold his own as frontman. The split vocals are missed by many including myself, but Derek has it all under control behind the mic stand. I don't know why they didn't have Jeremy or Jake sing a little more, but again it's not like they really need that.

Having been a big fan of Mayday before this LP, I am dissapointed with the overall sound of the album. It lacks the emo grit they displayed on their first two releases. I think Jasons not being a part of the writing process had a little bit to do with that and I won't take it back, so there! Somthing else I forgot to mention is that Jake Bundrick suddenly is just an okay drummer! Who made the decision he could take a vacation from his awesomeness. In other words the drums are a bit boreing. It is a well written pop/punk album and a poorly written Mayday Parade album, there's not much else to say. If it were lost or stolen, well...if I have to answer, no I wouldn't get it again. Sorry Mayday, maybe next time.

Nirvana00125
    I love how all of you guys are pop punk fans. Mayday Parade are honestly one of the most self centered bands on the planet. "wah let me whine about my girlfriend from when i was 13, life is so haaarrdddd" They're soooo generic.
    Xx__benji__xX
    I don't care what anyone says, this album is piss poor compared to their previous album and EP.