Deathcrush review by Mayhem

• Released: Jul 31, 1987
Mayhem: Deathcrush

I new to Mayhem, the band got me interested by theyr biography. Deaths and suicides are surounding the band. But now I'm talking about theyr first (mini) album Deathcrush. The albums sound is very unique. The drums are complicated and great sounding, the guitars are very trebly, the bass is probably one of the best thing in this album, it's overdriven so it sounds very dark and compressed. The vocals are the best part in this album. Maniac is screaming in very weird tone, there's a delay aded to it so it sounds very inhumany. Lets check the song list: 01. Silvester Anfang - a percusive intro, weird a bit disturbing. 02. Deathcrush - the song and the album kicks in with a catchy guitar riff the song switches betwen slower tempo, clear and catchy riff and fast chaotic screaming and playng 03. Chainsaw Gutsf--k - my personal favorite. The song starts with a catchy overdriven guitar riff, the the drums come in and the riff changes and it goes to a perfect slow headbanging song, the song comes back to the first riff and Maniac screams his lyrics the overal sound of this song is awesome. 05. Witching Hour - Venom cover, fast, chaotic, grind. 06. Necrolust - another catchy riff, another great song. There's some clear Venom influence in this album. Euronymus did a awesome job at creating riffs. It's a bit sad that the album has only 6 songs and even I have 6 of them. It's sad that I never heard another Mayhem like this.

The lyrics, well it's very hard to understand them. They include necrophilia, killing and other things that are ofently used in black metal. But at this point it very awesome. The high pitched screaming goes well with the music. I think that this is the only time that Maniac did a great job. His singing is disturbing and awesome.

Its a bit sad but I can't compare this album because it is so unique. The most impresive songs are Deathcrush and Chainsaw Gutsf--k. I love the singing skills, the riffs, the drum and bass work, everything. As I said it's disappointing that it's so small. If I would lost it I would definetly get it again I can't imagine my mp3 player without this album in it.

Nightstrider
    One of the essential black metal albums. Good stuff, raw, but amazing material. Good review, short but sweet, just like this EP. Also, I just noticed that the little blurb for the album is taken from MA. Heh.
    djakimo
    This is truly mayhem's greatest recording after ''De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas''. Un chef d'oeuvre !
    Jøhnny
    2Old2Cold wrote: You forgot to mention (Weird) Manheim/Pure Fucking Armageddon.
    Yeah, in some versions those two are in one track and in some versions they are separated. Also, the Outro of the album wasn't mentioned (but I think it only appears on the original LP version of the album.) It's a short weird humor song where all the members sing about flowers and birds, that's why the song is also sometimes called Flowers & Birds:
    mylanta2837
    swave75
    mylanta2837 wrote: I would have loved this album, but Maniac ruined it for me. The live versions of these songs with Dead were sooo much better, and I wish that he would have been the one to record the album. It would have been much better
    Yes I agree 100%. (Weird) Manheim is the only reason I bought this album.