Grand Declaration Of War review by Mayhem

• Released: May 16, 2000
Mayhem: Grand Declaration Of War

This Mayhem album must be one of the most underrated albums of all times. Mostly because of the electronica track. Maybe because of their speech-like way of expressing their lyrics. But make no mistake, this album really delivers a blazing fast and catchy kind of metal. One of a kind in fact! The intro song, Grand Declaration of War is an atmospheric and slow song which increases speed about halfway through. Unforgettable. The second, The lies where upon you lay, starts very fast and catchy, but loses it's glow throughout. "A Time To Die" is a short and catchy little flick. Not much to say. And, I must not forget the song, To Daimonion and Crystallized pain in Deconstruction. Overall, To Daimonion is the most catchy song on the album. Almost Darkthone like. Other tracks as the three min silence, to me, totally unnecessary. The rest of the tracks, Completetion in the Science of Agony and Bloodsword is what makes me give this album an 8 instead of 9.

The lyrics here are quite interesting. Especially on the four first tracks. They make you feel you are part of some, gathering, a great military gathering, ready for march. They did well giving this feeling, and it really works. Two thumbs up for that, but the way lyrics are performed later on could have been done better.

If Attila used his shrieks more, rather than just speech, I would go for a ten. This actually is my favorite album of Mayhem. I really enjoyed this album! Especially "View from Nihil and To Daimonion." It's really a well earned purchase. Go for it! Don't mind what others say.

~~Freak~~
    Great review, I feel the exact same about this album. It's a powerful album, but many people underrate it.