Grand Declaration Of War review by Mayhem

• Released: May 16, 2000
Mayhem: Grand Declaration Of War

This is my favorite Mayhem album because I feel like for the first time Mayhem really expirements and ascends beyond the realms of basic black metal. The guitar riffs are unconventional and intelligent and they create such a black atmosphere. Blasphemer's vision combined with Hellhammer's consistently stunning drum prowess, combinded with Necrobutcher's solid bass, and Maniac's maniacal vocals create what Mayhem is all about and this album is the only one that I feel really shows off what this incarnation of Mayhem is capable of and unfortunately you'll never see Mayhem like this again.

The lyrics were no more or less than you'd expect from Mayhem. For black metal fans, the lyrics are fine and serve their purpose because in black metal the atmosphere the overall music creates is what's important. The lyrics don't really stand out. There is nothing more to say than that.

This is the pinnacle of all black metal. It is more honest and down to earth than anything Dimmu Borgir is capable of, and it does everything that De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas wanted to do and there is no bad songwriting to cover up with horrible recording quality. This is perfect black metal.

Goldengitar
    The best damn Mayhem album ever released. View from Nihil rocks. Hail from Norway
    2Old2Cold
    First of all, this album is not as bad as some people think, but it is not the true Mayhem. They died with Euronymous. But if you can look past the absense of Euro then it is pretty good. Skill wise Blasphemer is a better guitarist, but I just don't feel the same darkness that Euro's riffs had. Hellhammer is certainly one of the best drummers in the world though. Overall I think this album is sometimes overlooked, but it is not as good as De Mysteriis.
    Jøhnny
    Criminally underrated album which features probably Hellhammer's best drumming ever. And Euronymous fanboys: stop crying, it's still Mayhem without Euronymous, it's just different, get over it.
    Nick M
    well i don't know if this album is great or crap..This album is not mayhem album because euronymous died..and mayhem died too...
    dark_shredder
    Nothing in my eyes is mayhem with out dead the greatest lyricist and vocalist the band has ever had or will ever have that's what I have to say