Grand Declaration Of War Review

Mayhem: Grand Declaration Of War
Release Date: May 16, 2000
Genres: Black Metal, Experimental
Label: Necropolis Records
"Grand Declaration Of War" won't appeal to anyone with a short attention span, but for those who can sit down and really give this CD their undivided attention, the rewards are great.
 8.4
 8.1
 8.7
Grand Declaration Of War Reviewed by: tomvidar, on december 18, 2006

Sound: This Mayhem album must be one of the most underrated albums of all times. Mostly because of the electronica track. Maybe because of their speech-like way of expressing their lyrics. But make no mistake, this album really delivers a blazing fast and catchy kind of metal. One of a kind in fact! The intro song, Grand Declaration of War is an atmospheric and slow song which increases speed about halfway through. Unforgettable. The second, The lies where upon you lay, starts very fast and catchy, but loses it's glow throughout. "A Time To Die" is a short and catchy little flick. Not much to say. And, I must not forget the song, To Daimonion and Crystallized pain in Deconstruction. Overall, To Daimonion is the most catchy song on the album. Almost Darkthone like. Other tracks as the three min silence, to me, totally unnecessary. The rest of the tracks, Completetion in the Science of Agony and Bloodsword is what makes me give this album an 8 instead of 9. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics here are quite interesting. Especially on the four first tracks. They make you feel you are part of some, gathering, a great military gathering, ready for march. They did well giving this feeling, and it really works. Two thumbs up for that, but the way lyrics are performed later on could have been done better. // 7

Overall Impression: If Attila used his shrieks more, rather than just speech, I would go for a ten. This actually is my favorite album of Mayhem. I really enjoyed this album! Especially "View from Nihil and To Daimonion." It's really a well earned purchase. Go for it! Don't mind what others say. // 8

Grand Declaration Of War Reviewed by: metalhead983877, on may 06, 2013

Sound: For most Black Metal fans, Mayhem is considered as the best Black Metal band that ever existed/will ever exist. The band is has been surrounded by controversy when their singer Per Yngve Ohlin aka. "Dead" has committed suicide and when their bassist Varg Vikernes aka. Count Grishnackh murdered their guitar player ystein Aarseth aka. Euronymus. Euronymus is considered as the mastermind of both Mayhem and the entire Black Metal genre, as other Norwegian Black Metal bands would only play music considered "good" by ystein... and burn churches... "Grand Declaration Of War" is Mayhem's second album, written by guitarist Rune Eriksen (Blasphemer), bassist Jrn Stubberud (Necrobutcher), drummer Jan Axel Blomberg (Hellhamer) and vocalist Sven Erik Kristiansen (Maniac). It was recorded in 2000 and is a very well produced album (surprising for a Black Metal album!). This album is also very experimental, with a spoken track ("A Bloodwsord And A Colder Sun" (Part I of II)), and an electronic track ("A Bloodwsord And A Colder Sun" (Part II of II)). "Grand Declaration Of War" also contains 2 weird tracks ("To Daimonion" Part 2/3) who are silent tracks. A few spoken words, and then 5 minutes of silence! But of course, this album also has some very good Black Metal songs! // 8

Lyrics: I never really connected with Black Metal lyrics, as most of them (EXCLUDING other subgenres, I'm sticking with "True" Black Metal) are Satanic (and I am an atheist). BUT, this album contains some interesting lyrics, such as "In The Lies Where Upon You Lay" or "Completion In Science Of Agony" (Pt. I Of II). The vocals are really diverse in this album. Maniac goes from high-pitched shrieks to whispering and, well, normal singing on some tracks. Some lyrics are spoken as normally as it is possible, as for example, "To Daimonion" (Part II of III). In "Crystalized Pain In Deconstruction", he does something that I could almost consider as rapping, if you can believe it. // 8

Overall Impression: If you want to get into Mayhem's music, you may want to start with their other albums "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas", "Chimera" or "Ordo Ad Chao", because this album is very different from the others. It is much more diverse and experimental, though I could recommend the first three songs. My favorite song of the album is "Completion In Science Of Agony" (Part I of II), because it sounds dark and melancholic, some parts of this song could almost get on a Black Sabbath record (maybe from the start to 2:40). The rest is a mix of this and ear-screeching Black Metal. I do not have this album in my possession, but I will eventually (read: in a week or so) order this album online. A friend of mine lent me his copy so I could give it a few listens (and put in in my computer). But of course, if I had it and it was stolen, I would beat the shit out of the stealer and retrieve it or order it again. A very different but solid album by a cult band.

// 8

Grand Declaration Of War Reviewed by: obsolete2817, on november 07, 2007

Sound: This is my favorite Mayhem album because I feel like for the first time Mayhem really expirements and ascends beyond the realms of basic black metal. The guitar riffs are unconventional and intelligent and they create such a black atmosphere. Blasphemer's vision combined with Hellhammer's consistently stunning drum prowess, combinded with Necrobutcher's solid bass, and Maniac's maniacal vocals create what Mayhem is all about and this album is the only one that I feel really shows off what this incarnation of Mayhem is capable of and unfortunately you'll never see Mayhem like this again. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were no more or less than you'd expect from Mayhem. For black metal fans, the lyrics are fine and serve their purpose because in black metal the atmosphere the overall music creates is what's important. The lyrics don't really stand out. There is nothing more to say than that. // 6

Overall Impression: This is the pinnacle of all black metal. It is more honest and down to earth than anything Dimmu Borgir is capable of, and it does everything that De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas wanted to do and there is no bad songwriting to cover up with horrible recording quality. This is perfect black metal. // 10

Comments