Ordo Ad Chao review by Mayhem

• Released: Apr 23, 2007
Mayhem: Ordo Ad Chao

Ordo Ad Chao, is as it's title says: Chaotic! I'm not saying it's bad, but if you are going to enjoy this album, you better have an open ear. The guitars drown in the bass, and bells is louder than anything, the drums are blazingly fast, the riffs are chromatic and literally evil and frightening. The atmosphere is the darkest I have yet had my hands on. The technical drumming of Jan Axel is so fast you start wondering f he is a machine. The rythms are advanced and progressive elements are to be heard everywhere. Unusual sounds, sudden transitions and strange song structures. You have to admire Mayhem for their experimental approach. They are Mayhem!

When it comes to the vocals, I have to say: The vocals are utterly evil and grim. They hit you from the inside! The lyrics are like always, nihilistic and often very deep and meaningful. But they are not like the very political and industrial speeches on Grand Declaration. The singer? I don't know how to judge a black metal vocalist, but I have to say, the vocals on this album are so effective at some points, you wish that very part of the song could be on repeat forever.

Mayhem's sound have been debated with every release all since the release of Mysteriis dom Sathanas. The fanbase always wanted another MDoS, though I have always appreciated Mayhems variation by every release. And this release is not an exception. Though the songs are a little chaotic (too much at some points) I do know that's what Mayhem wanted and you just have to admire them for experimenting. Mayhem is truly inspiring! Songs like Illuminate Eliminate, Anti and Psychic Horns are some unforgettable works. This album is an unforgettable work of dark music. Though chaotic, it's some of the best albums by Mayhem!

TempleOfMonkeys
    I find that Mayhem's newer albums lack the feeling that Euronymous's songwriting had. he had awesome harmonies and technical riffs and newer Mayhem just seems to be random dark sounding shit really. I've only heard Anti from this album and it was a disappointment really. Mayhem isn't the same without Euronymous.
    Slayer2
    i wasnt even aware this came out! and im a pretty big mayhem fan, i feel bad lol
    Nick M
    obsolete2817
    Agent_00Funk
    I personally think this is a great album. I find Atillas vocals more appealing that Deads, but still great album.
    2Old2Cold
    obsolete2817 wrote: Nick M wrote: Hello Fans Of Mayhem...Well to be honest the new mayhem album is a mayhem reborn after the death of aarseth...It is very chaotic.If You are a new Black Metaller u should better listen to more black metal bands.A Final Sentence.The Two True Mayhem Albums Are Deathcrush,And De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.The Albums After The Death Of Euronymous With Maniac Suck...And The Last One Is Something New...Let's Hope The Band Will Continue Like That...Ave... I get so tired of this song and dance...Mayhem before De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas really isn't that special and Maniac really helped bring out the evil that Mayhem is capable of. The two best Mayhem albums are 1. Grand Declaration of War, and 2. Ordo Ad Chao. Period.
    1. De Mysteriis 2. Live In Leipzig (best live BM album ever) 3. Deathcrush. These are the three best Mayhem albums. You must never forget that Euronymous' riffs were utter darkness and he more often than not produced riffs that are remembered to this day. He was a genius when it came to composing music. Could Blasphemer have ever wrote something as godly as Freezing Moon? Probably not. Anyway, I actually think Ordo Ad Chao is a masterpiece. It is insanely evil sounding and Attila's vocals have never been better. You want to debate BM vocalists? Attila wins hands down. Hellhammer is seriously the best drummer in the world. Everything about this album is dark, grim, evil, etc etc you name it. A big hail to Mayhem for making this dark masterwork. Hopefully the next one stays with this formula. HAIL EURONYMOUS!
    Funeral Moon
    De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas will always be Mayhem's best work, in my opinion. Ordo Ad Chao is good, but not great.
    Mate.Feed.Kill.
    I'd say the best Mayhem album was De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas because it is the evilest thing I've ever heard. The worst I'd give to European Legions, just for being political and lets face it: boring as hell. I though Chimera was also very good, Slaughter of Dreams is one of my fave songs by them. Anyways, I'd say this album is good and I do love it cuz it's chaotic and makes me go insane everytime I listen to it, it's evil as hell (not as evil as De Mysteriis Dom of course) the only drawback was the vocals which were nowhere near as good as Dead's and when the sonng weren't insane and chaotic they were knida boring example: A Wise Birthgiver.
    swave75
    1a. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas 1b. Live in Leipzig 2. Ordo Ad Chao 3. Anything with Dead on it. Period.
    mylanta2837
    I think Attila's voice has developed since De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas. I mean, Key to the Storms has THE MOST evil vocal work I have ever heard. Maybe it's for the best that Euronymous wasn't around for this album, because if he was, I'm not sure this world would be able to handle it. Great album \m/
    Angel Of Sin
    I'm sorry to say but Attila is a shit vocalist, he has no skill and the guitar set-up is not good at all. Mayhem's best albums are; Live in Leipzig, Out From The Dark, Dawn Of The Black Hearts and Deathcrush