II review by Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

• Released: Mar 20, 2007
Maylene and the Sons of Disaster: II

Dallas Taylor, renown for being the original frontman of Underoath, returns with his Southern metal band, Maylene & The Sons of Disaster, once again. Anybody listening to 'Dry the River,' one of the tracks also featured in the recently released "The Day Hell Broke Loose at Sicard Hollow EP", will agree that the instrumentals in the album are very technical and flow well together. Many would agree that the guitar riffs are even better than the self-titled debut, but Dallas's changed vocals may stir up some disagreements among fans. As one of the biggest names in indie metal vocalists, more might be expected of Dallas. With each new album, ever since Cries of the Past with Underoath, his voice has seemed to lost it's unique sound and deepness. In 'II', it sounds as if he is simply yelling into a mic, but for some reason sounds better than that. After a minute of this relatively monotonous yelling, the sung choruses will be embedded right into your head. Of course, the album still blends melodic hardcore with southern music just as the self-titled debut did, they made it sound a bit better, but nothing amazingly innovative.

As with their past album, this tells the story of the Barker/Karpis gang of the '30s. Dallas Taylor tells the story well. It has some hidden meanings and metaphors in the lyrics, but it isn't a set of master poems. The story of the Barker/Karpis gang shown in Maylene's music is about Ma Barker, suppossed leader of the gang (although that has proven to be false, Dallas tells the story from folk tales he was told has a child). Ma Barker is gunned down outside her house in the first album, and then her sons (The 'Sons of Disaster') have their own tales. The Barker/Karpis gang was from the south and does go along with the theme of the band and it's sound well.

If you listen to the album all the way through, you will realize that while some songs such as Dry the River, Death in an Alcoholic, and Wylie are amazing, there are some filler tracks here. It's a good album, one of the best I've heard so far in 2007, but it's not an instant classic. It's worth a listen to any metal fans that want a new sound, after more experience, Maylene & The Sons Of Disaster definetely has potential as a legendary band.

Schizopathic
    Insane Esp wrote: Yeah dude underoath sold out dude. They should have stayed singing about god and shit. If u like this band Definately check out Mortal Treason. THey rip some shit up too.
    that has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard...if you took ONE look at Underoath's lyrics, you could clearly figure out that they DO still sing about God, and very prominetly so...So do some research before you go shooting your mouth off about how they sold out DUDE!
    MylesPetro
    parkerguitars24
    I think Dallas is better in Maylene than underOath. underOath is my all time favorite band, but I personally think they're better with Spencer, because if they still had Dallas there'd be no Maylene.
    !normajean!
    littlebigjames
    I loved Maylene's first Album it was edgy and cutting this new one they got out is Awesome more of a southern metal maylene NEVER disappointing fans every were
    thrice07
    I dont see why fans call this album metal, its the best album ive heard of 2007 but still its nowhere near metal, its basically southern rock and rock n roll. Also they are the best band i have seen live, go see them you will not be dissapointed.
    catalyst329
    I would say that this album is a lot better than the first one. This album is way more southern rock than the previous release. I also think that Dallas's voice is alot better to. This is a must buy for sothern rock and hardcore fans. Maylene is a kick ass band and this album definatly shos that.
    Captain_Crooks
    There second album is way better. Then again I hadn't really listened to the first a whole lot. But "Dry the River" is amazing.
    hey-hey FUNK 11
    i like both albums. the first was more metal, and the second more southern rock, but i think this helps spread the fanbase, i mean some people like metal and some like the non-screaming more structured southern rock, personally i like both. its a smart move by matsod.
    alex.theman
    i thought the first album was much better. only so far though, this album has to grow on me.
    fartsyjoe420
    i'm not disagreeing, but i dont know if that's a great comparison. mortal treason is much harder than maylene. but both great.
    iH8CarAccidents
    !normajean! wrote: MylesPetro wrote: Insane Esp wrote: Yeah dude underoath sold out dude. They should have stayed singing about god. Ok, Underoath did the exact opposite of sell out. They got heavier. Their last album is like 85% screaming. Anyways, this album is awesome, just as good as the first album, if not better. they got heavier? have you HEARD their first 3 cds?!?! heavier...pshhh. i laugh at you. anywho, this is a review for Maylene. not Underoath. and this cd is WAY more southern then the first one. i love both of them, but this one just makes me want to grow a beard, carry around a double barrel, wear overalls, and smash a Jack Daniels over someones head. really, its that good.
    I actually have heard their first 3 CDs. And I get what you mean. The only problem for me was that it was a little too much like what a lot of other bands are doing. Now they're heavy in a different way. Like it's a different, more chaotic and sometimes melodic style, but I think it's still pretty heavy. And if you liked this album, III should just blow your brains out. Seriously. Look up the song "Step Up (I'm On It)." I can't stop listening to it.
    punisher_spawn
    Great review! Saw them at soundwave in '09. ****ing amazing set. made me want to get in the pit and just let it rip.. (i was on crutches though) if you like this album. check out "III" it'll kick your ass. peace.