Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster review by Maylene and the Sons of Disaster

• Released: Oct 25, 2005
Maylene and the Sons of Disaster: Maylene And The Sons Of Disaster

Maylene & The Sons Of Disaster is impressive! With there blend of hardcore and southern rock, this band has truly risen to the top of the ranks in southern rock/metal. This band can make believers of even the most hardcore and anti-hardcore listeners that, no matter what, the south rocks! The band blast the listener with an impressive opener "Caution: Dangerous Curves Ahead" that starts right into the song taking the impressive screaming of Dallas Taylor (former screamer for Underoath) and blending it with guitars that show a little southern pride. Then, the band continues into many impressive riffs and plenty of decent solos (something not many bands dare to touch in this genre). The band's first single from this album, "Tough As John Jacobs", opens with a single guitar using a slide. Then, drums help to build the intro and the song picks up some steam. The song drives and drives into a decent little tune. But for me, being a guitar player, is the ending solo that screeches over the band solidifying a great southern tune. Simple, sweet, and mixed with some of the rare vocals on the album that are sung instead of screamed. However, Dallas screams under it to maintain the "frustration about to break the silence." The band does have many shining moments on the album and contains many impressive hooks that grab the listener and takes them on a trip to the good old days when the blues ruled the airwaves. The band does mix up their sounds with songs like "The Mind Of A Grimes" which shows a faster and more urgent sound and the free sounding blues feel of "Lady At The Gate." But, the band does not stop there! To conclude the onslaught of madness that is Maylene, they present a truly powerful ballad, "Just Wanted To Make Mother Proud", that shows the bands ability to write incredibly in diverse styles, and that the band contains the ability to back off and slow down (a sign of a great band). The great thing is that they never seem to grow old, and they have a sound that grows on the listener. Soon, you too will want to talk like you were "born a' raised 'n the good ol' south!"

The lyrics of the band are simple. Most people maybe turned off by some of the lyrics, but the band stands out to have positive lyrics. They also portray some of the internal struggles of man. But for the most part, the lyrics are Christian driven and present that attitude toward life. Dallas scream is also different from most and is easier to understand than most screamers.

As a first album, it is great. It leaves the listener wanting more of the bands style and attitude! The band is just as impressive live on stage and are explosive! If you want some raw and dirty rock for the whole family to enjoy, Maylene is the way to go.

amy_09
    er maybe not the whole family. i'm the only one i know that likes em, but..... blast, no one here likes anything with the remotest hint of screaming. man, they're good.
    luttrell
    These guys are amazing. This album is a must have for any guitarist who loves to play in Drop-D. And I don't like Underoath at all, their music sucked compared to these guys. I don't really give a shit about the singer though, it's all about the instruments.
    badnflunz
    or you just set your stanards too high.....
    CobainenHeralyn
    or your just a prick Rocking album, great riffs even though they reek of Pantera at times, which is not really a bad thing...
    ChurchPunk
    Good band, some sweet riffs. I like the style alot, it isnt really that technical or whatever, but it is just a fun, energetic CD to listen to. Great lyrics!
    eli_yates
    !normajean!
    eli_yates wrote: iquitmyscene13 wrote: Uhh my dad has a record of a southern rock band from like the 60's...and these guys sound the same. Oh and something I forgot...the record sucks. Soooo if you think these guys are good, I guess you're easily impressed. so your dad likes them? i guess if thats the case at least someone in your family has good taste in music... but obviously not good taste in children.
    lmao...put him in line! i love this band! i just saw them with norma jean and underoath. they were SO freakin insane! i met dallas taylor too. thats one cool dude.... anyway, this cd is insane. it reminds me of when i still lived in the country...i miss those days... south forever!!!
    6stringz89
    if you like old UnderOath, youll probably like these guys since its the same singer/screamer
    t3hrav3n
    definitely love this album. i've heard one song from the new album and it's definitely different than this one, but i have a feeling that they're still the same old maylene. i saw them in concert a while back and they were easily the best band i've seen live. with moving, light-up deer on top of their amps that flashed on and off with the music and dallas stealing my friend's chapstick from her pocket, then replacing it after using it, i would love to see them again.
    iquitmyscene13