Motion In The Ocean review by McFly

• Released: Nov 6, 2006
McFly: Motion In The Ocean

In terms of sound this is a great album, which brings together not only the energy, and surprisingly good musicianship, but also clearly some of their influences, I felt there were definite elements of Bon Jovi (home is where the heart is) and Queen here. They keep their upbeat style and I feel are increasingly attracting an older audience as well as their young teenage audience. However they do remain unique I feel that there isn't really another band out there like them, they are good at their own instruments, write their own songs, yet they're enjoyed by a wide audience. This album continues the quality that they had in 'Wonderland'. Good stuff!

This is where I feel that they, let themselves down/show their age (the oldest member of the band is 22). Lines like "I was afraid when you kissed me on your intergalactical frisbee" (Star Girl), "She will always be my sunkissed trampoline" (Little Joanna) and "Refusing orders from the queen has upset her monstrosity" (Transylvania) are a bit weak and you can see in some of the songs that they're just trying to find words that fit. However that said it's certainly not all bad, for exampe in 'We Are The Young' the lyrics do indicate a feeling of invincibility that everyone has at that age, 'Home Is Where The Heart Is' is also quite good lyrically. Otherwise the words do all fit with the music, and in Tom and Danny they have to fine singers, both who bring something different.

Overall I would say that this album once more progresses forward and shows that Mcfly are not a 'One Trick Pony', 'Bubblewrap' and 'Lonely' are a good contrast to the likes of 'We Are The Young' and 'Sorry's Not Good Enough'. For me the most impressive songs were 'We are the Young', 'Sorrys not Good Enough', 'Walk In The Sun' and 'Home Is Where The Heart Is'. I found 'Transylvania' a bit dissapointing and the lyrics of 'Little Joanna' bring down the quality of that song. But overall I very much enjoy this. If it were lost/stolen I would definitly buy this again.

apmaman
    its funny how everything that isnt metal or classic rock gets the piss ripped outta it.
    abs_n91
    guitarist41
    abs_n91 wrote: McFuckingFly?? You ****ing serious??? Whats music coming to...they're a bunch of pretty-boy hair farmers with guitars...
    Two Thumbs Up to you, my good sir.
    Carousel91
    kaptink
    and in Tom and Danny they have to fine singers =Studio engineering. and its not so much their music I hate its their purpose:Cashcows.
    rko
    footyfandan
    rko wrote: Carousel91 : I don't particularly like these lads' music. But no-one out there could call them shit, except maybe Oasis or someone of that status If they were shit, they wouldnt have sold as many albums as they have! They have took the UK by storm, so nice one lads! They suck badly one of the most talentless bands around. Just because a band has sold alot of records doesn't mean they are good. And yes i am saying they are shit. If you go by record sales then your stupid because usually the most talented bands dont do well in the charts or win awards etc. I really can't believe that someone has posted a review of a crappy pop band aimed to sell to little girls but sadly i guess most people have forgotten what real music is.
    Talentless? To be fair they're far from talentless. I saw them live when I took my ex girlfriend to one of their concerts (god help me) but their performance actually really impressed me. The effort they put into that gig (and others I presume) is unquestionable. And hey, their songs are quite catchy
    monkfish_bandan
    I agree with rko with his point about record sales - I know some incredible bands with no labels or record sales except those from live venues. However, I agree that some people on this site should open their minds a little; I personally hate McFly - they have a money-grabbing aura around them. Even so, many other good pop groups get slated on here just because the band doesn't use a double bass-pedal, don't have any flesh tunnels or don't scream. Oh, and one final thing, I agree with kaptink on this one. *cough* Studio engineering, voice enhancers and fancy pants Mac software *cough*.
    rob_larry01
    those of you saying "studio engineering" and the like need to have a listen to some of their live tracks, very very good and talentless? you can't actually insult their guitar-playing ability, they are extrememly competant, and just 'cause they don't shred or anything on the album doesnt neccessarily mean they cant seriously people, open your ****ing minds a bit oh and as for my opinion...catchy songs, good vocals, weak lyrics -rob