Motion In The Ocean review by McFly

• Released: Nov 6, 2006
McFly: Motion In The Ocean

Motion in the Ocean sounds great. Any age can like it. You just wanna jump around the house listening to it, it gives you the feeling that no one can ever stop you and it can cheer you up so much. Worth of a listen. The instruments work very well together in this album, specially piano and guitar. There is a really cool drum and bass work on Star Girl and Please, Please. And, it is the most creative McFly album ever, just check out Star Girl. Who would ever think about writing about a boy who falls in love with an alien girl? And the lyrics and melody fit so well with it. They even wrote about the story of Anne Boleyn on Transylvania (though I can't understand why people ADORE that song so much. it's great, but not at that point! ) and still could make it fun even being kind of dark and Tim Burton-ish. There are polemic songs, cute songs, slow songs, sad songs, there's a lot of variations. I do love it, but I still prefer Wonderland, that was their best time. This one's a very cool album and you can't resist to sing with it, but it's not that good, you just have to admit. What I like about it is just the creativity used in it.

Most of the lyrics didn't impress me much. They aren't as good as they were on Wonderland, but they are for sure a 100 times better than Room on the 3rd Floor. They are childish on some songs as Little Joanna. Before I heard that song a long time ago, I saw the lyrics first and I have to tell you I laught. A few lyrics caught my attention, they were: We are the Young: The intro song of the album, shows the feeling that no one can stop you which you feel when you are young very clearly. You can identify yourself a lot, even if you are older. "Running the world / it's the time of our lives / baby we will never die / 'cause we're the young, we're alright." Bubblewrap: "Turn on the radio honey, 'cause every single sad song you'll be able to relate / This one I dedicate / Woah, don't get all emotional baby / You could never talk to me, you're unnable to communicate" "This is the last time / I give up this heart of mine / I'm telling you that I'm a broken man who's finnaly realised / You're standing in moonlight, but you're black on the inside / Who do you think you are to cry? / This is goodbye". Need I say more? Kicks ass. Home is Where the Heart is: I'd say it's the best song of the CD. Not my favorite, but I like it and I have to say everything on it is awesome. That hymn-type chorus "Home is where the heart is / it's where we started / where we belong" is so beautiful and catchy. "Calling out to your children's children / Let there be love and let them scream it loud / Before we bite the dust". Singer skills? Danny and Tom are one of the best singers I've ever heard. Really, specially Danny, his voice gives me the chills, it's beautiful naturally. Tom has more technique than Danny and has a softer voice. Dougie has a very cute voice, but he is not very skilled. They work very well together.

You can't compare McFly to any other bands, they're very unique. But you can see kind of a Queen and Green Day influence on this one. Some songs I'd recommend you to listen are Home is Where the Heart is, Star Girl, Bubblewrap, Transylvania, Friday Night and Please, Please. Not mentioning my favorites (some of them are), but these are the best ones, I guess. I love the spirit of fun it has in the album, the only thing I don't like about it is that I think they were leading to the right direction on Wonderland and they changed a lot for this one. But it was a good change, I love it. McFly's been my life obsession for almost two years, so I'm odd to say this, but this is one of the best bands you'll ever hear about.

wurzel1981
    I quote celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay, after Mcfly do a wee stint in his kitchen. "McFly?.....McShit!" Hilarious. See it on 4od!
    Glam-Hammer
    kinney2k : and who cares if they are a 'pop band' so were the beatles and queen no one talks shit about them
    ^ good point there
    biscuitiis.k
    wait let me just do that again... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH...no
    biscuitiis.k
    Hey, now you just need to put on some make-up, cry out, film yourself while you yell out: "Leave Mcfly alone!!" have fun, weirdo! hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahha hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahha ahahahahahahahahah aa no
    biscuitiis.k
    Hey, now you just need to put on some make-up, cry out, film yourself while you yell out: "Leave Mcfly alone!!" have fun, weirdo! uhhhhh no
    noobboyy
    childish flamers... not liking a band doesn't mean flaiming them. i hate metal songs but hey, u dont see me going around and writing at their reviews that they suck. so to those flamers : GROW UP AND GET A LIFE!
    sdom7
    Well for anyone new looking at this review. Just to add some background info, when Mcfly wrote their first album, they were 14-16 years old, all they thought about were girls (getting them and losing them) Though "Room on the Third Floor" was about the real world reminding them they were still kids with a lucky opportunity. And "Not Alone" was about knowing that while people thought they were fakers, they had each other and their family to get through the hard times. During Wonderland,they're were 20-22. Danny's father walked out on his family (Ballad of Paul K), Tom's money was going to supporting his family, as his father lost a job, and all for boys were rebelling against their Label, who wanted the boys to keep making more "happy-summery" pop music. (Don't Know Why) But during "Motion and the Ocean" the boys decided to compromise with their Label, which is why Motion in the Ocean sounds the way it does. Good Music, but somewhat childish lyrics, because they had to appeal to their younger audience. The subjects had gone back to getting the girl, losing the girl, but at the same time they have "We are the Young", "Home is where the Heart is", "Friday Night" and "Please Please" which was about their drummer hooking up with Lindsay Lohan. Their Label had a heavy hand on why the boys wrote and which songs were released as singles. Almost every cover the boys did was on the decision of their Label. I love Mcfly, but I'm not a blind follower, Mcfly have the potential to be a great pop band and now that they've left their Label, they won't get stuck in that rut of producing only summery, love pop. They can spread out into all kinds of pop. From summery pop to pop punk to pop rock. They're still young, so they have alot to learn, but as they've said many times they don't care if people don't like them, there in this for the music to make good pop music, and they are in it for the long run, and they have on thousands of occasions thanked the fans who have supported them. Not everyone is in it for the cash, but it definitely helps.
    lééti
    MrFlibble wrote: Like their music or not, I'm going to agree with others here and say that if you've ever seen them perform live, they're damn good. They clearly put much more effort into their live shows than most other bands these days, and their playing is flawless. you might not like their lyrics, you might find their tunes obnoxious, but you simply can not fault their performance or their raw ability as musicians.
    i agree with every word. i just can't wait for their new album, from what i've seen about it it's gonna shut the mouth of everyone who says they're a talentless "boyband" (:
    Nigzy
    whatiaminstead wrote: Carousel91 wrote: If they were shit, they wouldnt have sold as many albums as they have! Except that alot of people just don't like good music nowadays. i don't think you can call a huge sale in records mostly at the hands of 14 year olds a reason why these guys should be considered any good. now, in other areas of the alternative spectrum, you have AFI, Modest Mouse, The Rasmus...NOW you're getting into gold territory.
    you lost any credibility with the rasmus haha dear god
    MrFlibble
    red157
    kinney2k wrote:and who cares if they are a 'pop band' so were the beatles and queen no one talks shit about them
    Loads of people talk shit about the beatles and Queen. But the main difference between them and McFly? The Beatles and Queen made good music.
    fireworks33
    I don't care if you like McFly or not. But don't judge them purely on the fact that they play pop, or the fact that its "not cool" to like them. I'd suggest you actually go and watch them live and see how well they play before you start judging them. Just because its not your type of music doesn't mean its shit. I dont care if you don't like it just dont judge it without listening to it.
    Jack25
    ]
    AdamOnDrums wrote: Jack25 wrote: Why do all you metalheads CARE!? Just because it's not your favourite type of music or in your opinion they are shit, you don't need to trash them! What are you hoping to achieve?? Please respect the views of us people on here who actually enjoy listening to McFly! Hey, now you just need to put on some make-up, cry out, film yourself while you yell out: "Leave Mcfly alone!!" have fun, weirdo!
    Leave Mcfly alone!! What's next???
    jasonkan
    I guess at the end of the day we all have our opinions about how we like them or hate their guts, but you don't have to be mega talented to write songs that sound good. Say if you took the most talented metal shredders, wouldn't mean to say that they would write the 'best stuff ever'..talented but so what? I listen to stuff from Norma Jean and Every Time I Die to indie music, rock like AC/DC, electronica, trance, r&b and pop, so i guess i keep a pretty wide taste so to speak. I also listen to some McFly, only some though because some of the other songs are pretty shit.
    pigmaggots
    footyfandan wrote: rko wrote: Carousel91 : I don't particularly like these lads' music. But no-one out there could call them shit, except maybe Oasis or someone of that status If they were shit, they wouldnt have sold as many albums as they have! They have took the UK by storm, so nice one lads! They suck badly one of the most talentless bands around. Just because a band has sold alot of records doesn't mean they are good. And yes i am saying they are shit. If you go by record sales then your stupid because usually the most talented bands dont do well in the charts or win awards etc. I really can't believe that someone has posted a review of a crappy pop band aimed to sell to little girls but sadly i guess most people have forgotten what real music is. Talentless? To be fair they're far from talentless. I saw them live when I took my ex girlfriend to one of their concerts (god help me) but their performance actually really impressed me. The effort they put into that gig (and others I presume) is unquestionable. And hey, their songs are quite catchy
    I'm not a fan but an ex gf also took me to a gig of theirs and they are awesome musicians, yeah they are marketable for children more than anything but there is talent within the instruments they use and also in songwriting. I feel that if they continue to progress like they have done so far they will be unstoppable...not in a pop way but in an all round Queen sort of way.
    BlackSymphony6
    hang on ... i dont believe people are getting ripped for hating mcfly. Its just ... wrong. In all honesty i dont think ive ever met someone who would openly admit to liking mcfly. Perhaps its easier to admit over the internet ... you cant see everyone laughting at you.
    mon_the_fraser
    This is bulshit at its finest. Someone said earlier that if it is not rock or metal it gets the piss ripped out of it they are wrong. It is not bullshit because it is pop it is because it is awful crap. And the reason is it is not sincere and there songs do not have intelligent lyrics
    biscuitiis.k
    to whoever who hates mcfly why do you even bother commenting on how crap their music is. Music is all equal and people can like what they like. so ya...
    kinney2k
    Yes they DO write their own song they ARE amazing live (ive seen then live 3 times) the dont need live enhancers to improve their performances instruments or vocal ive seen plenty acoustic performances. They are not all about the money they have recently left their HUGE record company for the way they was marketing them to the younger generation forcing them to change some of their musical direction. thats why they have decided to release their next album independently. Not all of their songs are simply 'Pop songs' mainly songs of their 'wonderland' album have as much rock infuence as many other band. and who cares if they are a 'pop band' so were the beatles and queen no one talks shit about them even if they arnt their tastes. And being endorsed by brian may and roger daltery gives me even more faith in McFly
    AdamOnDrums
    AdamOnDrums
    well, theres no doubt that they are another boyband, dressed up with some guitars... They say they write their own song, but lets not be silly, they don't. All their songs is about stupid lovestories, or aomething like that. it's not rock, it's pop, deal with it. And so what? it's okay music, it's catchy tunes, simple rifs, and something 14 year old girls like to hear. I don't really like them either, but there's no reason to explode in anger over a f*cking album. if you don't like it, dont listen to it. Its not that hard... "Hey, are you gonna eat that?" John 21/14
    Glam-Hammer
    apmaman : its funny how everything that isnt metal or classic rock gets the piss ripped outta it.
    Because only rawr rawr metal can play guitars....duh./
    Captain Cool
    Wow, UG now has the same articles as my sisters Smash Hits magazine, and by the looks of things the same reviewers.
    fedeforever
    McFly have teen lyrics , pop-punk/pop-rock music and ****ing great vocals.Just watch the youtube covers of the heart never lies.Everyone ****'s this up even people who can sing metal and classic rock.So don't tell McFly talentless.You might tell that they can't rock as Queen or Oasis but not that they suck.That's why metal heads are not open minded.Noone who can sing sustained high b notes is talentless.
    red157
    What the hell is this? Three idiots managed to string together enough words to form reviews... UG shouldn't have accepted them.
    whatiaminstead
    spazzymagee
    guitarist41 wrote: abs_n91 wrote: McFuckingFly?? You ****ing serious??? Whats music coming to...they're a bunch of pretty-boy hair farmers with guitars... Two Thumbs Up to you, my good sir.
    Three thumbs up now squire. This music is completely bereft of orignality. I cannot be bothered to waste my breath....
    Nigzy
    some people do not a clue about good song writing..yu write to your audience..and i bet most would swap positions with them as the best they can hope for is to keep playing barflys etc..tom fletcher has written more number ones that status quo..albeit in lesser competition but the point is there in black and white to be seen
    thoriswar
    this has to be a ****ing joke am i tripping someone put this shit up on this site ???? who ever it was must be doing it as a joke cos they are sad wee boys who know **** all about music they cant play for shit!!! and i must say its amid to 7 year old girls and gay boys so pls for the love **** dont post a review of this shit on this site people cant stand them and anyone who dus like em are fags and need to be taken out and shot in the back of the head!!
    Jack25
    ghj0
    mcfly gets a lot of grief just because they have a massive female fanbase. you know why? because apparently, for most too-good-for-anyone-CHAUVINIST PIGS out there, anything that teenage girls listen to can't possibly be good.