Radio:Active review by McFly

• Released: Jul 21, 2008
McFly: Radio:Active

McFly's new album Radio:ACTIVE sounds original as their rock has ever been, but this time it comes straight to their heads to our ears instead of the old manipulated rock. After 4 years, the band got sick of doing everything the label wanted instead of sounding how they wanted to sound like, so they have refused a renovation of contract with their now ex-label Island Records and created their own, called Super Records. Fans of the first CD (Room on the 3rd Floor) will probably be disappointed, Radio:ACTIVE is heavier than they are used to but as fun as Room on the 3rd Floor. But Wonderland and Motion in the Ocean fans are gonna love it for sure. 01.Lies: once again McFly shows how good they are on varying their sound and playing on any style they want. Lies is a very funky and original song, and instead of their older songs, they now don't want to get the girl anymore. As described by lead singer Tom Fletcher, they want her to 'crash her car and burn in hell'. Awesome. 10/10 02.One For The Radio: On this song the band criticizes all the haters, critics, liars and even fans who are still inside the closet for being ashamed to be fans, because of the boyband label. Good one, but could've been better on a few things like the lyrics. 7/10 03.Everybody Knows: A sort of 80's rock song. It's really fun to listen to but it's just not that good. The melody's boring and the lyrics have some good and some stupid parts. Again, another one that could've been better. 7/10 04.Do Ya: A pretty bouncy and fun song, kinda Beatles-ish. It's just two parts repeating again and again, with the melody going up a half step as they go to one part to other. Nice little riffs in the background and amazing singing skills. Good song, but it's too repetitive. 7/10 05.Falling In Love: This one is kind of a slow folk/country. Certainly wrote by Bruce Springsteen addict Danny Jones, the lead guitarist and singer. About losing the opportunity of falling in love with a person that is out of your life right now. It's very chill and nice to listen. 9/10 06.POV: Awesome power ballad, with quiet verses, an explosive chorus and one of the best lyrics McFly has ever written. Reminds a lot 'Stay Together for the Kids' by Blink 182. 10/10 07.Corrupted: This one sounds sort like indie rock. Probably the darkest song of the album, it's a bit different from the kind of rock they play. Written by Tom and a group of songwriters called The Matrix. It's great anyway. 8/10 08.Smile: Song written by Tom. Sounds exactly like some old rock songs, with a lot of finger crackle and everything, although it's kinda boring to listen. 7/10 09.The End: Another song by Tom & The Matrix. Calm and addictive and lyrics are well written, although it's not very original. You can find a song just like this one on top of the charts. 9/10 10.Going Through The Motions: Probably a song the crazy hard rockers will like a lot. Distorted guitars, pointless lyrics and a lot of screaming. Makes you wanna head bang and start running around the house. 8/10 11.Down Goes Another One: If I didn't know it was McFly I'd probably say I'm listening to 'Don't Cry' by Guns N' Roses. One of the best songs of the album and it has an amazing guitar solo. 10/10 12.Only the Strong Survive: Sounds like country rock. It's just not a song that stands out and is a bit boring to listen to. Could've been left out as it seems to be there just to fill space. 7/10 13.The Last Song: The idea of the song was what would you like to say if this was the last song you would ever sing. And I can say this would be a kickass last song of a band - and of an album. very well written. 10/10

A few lyrics aren't very impressive as you can see on Everybody Knows (Everybody knows / You know the ship's going down / Everybody knows / Yeah, Sailor Jerry's around - sounds a bit silly). But the bad lyrics are just a few of them, as the boys have improved a lot if you compare to the past albums. It just can't beat Wonderland's lyrics. Most impressive lyrics were: Lies: Your words are like bullets and I'm the way your weapons aim; Living in a fantasy / Don't even know reality / When you start talking, I start walking. Falling In Love: Out of our minds and out of time / Wishing I could be with you / To share the view; POV: I never wanted everything to end this way / But you can take the bluest sky and turn it grey / I swore to you that I would do my best to change / But you said it don't matter / I'm looking at you from another point of view / I don't know how the hell I fell in love with you / I'd never wish for anyone to feel the way I do. The End: The end is where you hope you never say 'I could've done it better' / And I'm gonna keep what counts and throw away what doesn't really matter; Everybody Knows the end / When the curtain hits the floor / Everybody Knows the end / don't wanna get there wishing that you'd given more. Down Goes Another One: Everytime I fall asleep my dreams are haunted / Everytime I close my eyes I'm not alone / Everytime I cry I'm right back where you wanted / I try to drown you out so, down goes another one. The Last Song: So here's to all the lonely hearts / Cause mine's been ripped and torn apart / Colder now, it's getting dark, but I'll be ok / Bury me with my guitar and on the way to hell I'll play. And about singing, Tom and Danny are probably the best sounding singers I've heard. As their producer Jason Perry says "Tom sounds like a trumpet, and Danny sounds like a saxophone. That would be the best way to describe them". Their vocal range is amazing and their voices are beautiful. Tom has the technique and Danny has the powerful voice and it sounds mind-blowing together. Dougie, the bassist, shows up sometimes but he's not that impressive.

4 years living with the pop-rock boyband label on your back is pretty hard to get off, but I think that on this album they can shut up some haters. I have been a McFly fan since 2006, and I can say that this one beats any of the others. Even if you are an old McFly stuff fan, it's out of doubt that this is their best material ever. As the band innovates at every Cd, we just have to wait and see what they'll do for the next album, but in my opinion this is the direction McFly should be going to in their career.

lééti
    boredofhaters wrote: xsthana182x wrote:
    yes, that video would be off nearly 5 years ago.
    Sara...
    For god's sakes, people. Before I get started, yes, I am a teenage girl, and I am a McFly fan. But I don't see why all these metalheads think they can diss McFly, just because their music is rock pop. Maybe if they actually LISTENED, instead of just judging McFly on songs such as Do Ya, which is not one of their best, they would see that McFly have so many influences they manage to create music that could be categorized into so many different genres! Take Silence Is A Scary sound, for example; Dougie's was inspired by Blink 182 (he's a die-hard fan), and Danny's Falling In Love, inspired by Bruce Springsteen. Now I don't know about you, but I wouldn't put those two artists in the same genre. McFly are unique in that they approach so many different genres within their music. And as for people saying they put on a crap show, well, I went to see them live just last month and it was AWESOME, so much so that my friend said it was better than My Chemical Romance, and it was definitely the best gig I've ever been to. They're not lame just because their music isn't full of swearing and screaming, and they are just four funny guys that love what they do. If anything, they should be respected, because they're much nicer people than the metalheads all you haters are comparing them to.
    claudz4
    Calum Hogan wrote: Shut the hell up you sad little long haired rock anaracks. This is REAL music, something you guys will NEVER know the meaning of. Mcfly are the people with record contracts, scoring number 1's here there and everywhere. SO SHUT THE FUCK UP!
    I like this guy. You can't go bashing a band just because they are on the radio and considered "pop." most of you people are only trying to act 'cool' or 'hardcore.' get over yourselves they are the ones who are loaded and living successful lives. Beatles were mainstream, does that make them shit?
    mcflyluver4life
    i think mcfly are fantastic, they get young people tomlisten to good songs that have no swearing in them. they have amazing lyrics and guitar solos! it's good that they have young and old people liking them because it is good for their music buissiness!
    biscuitiis.k
    ...woah... this album rules
    lééti
    people have a very idiot mania that when they don't like a band, they say it's shit and stupid, doesn't matter if this is true or not. it is totally acceptable that you don't like a band's sound, obviously, but saying that it's crap without even knowing it well is just stupid. that's what happens to mcfly like many other artists. they are just not talentless, liking it or not they play and sing really good. people should stop being so hard-headed and accept the talent of bands they don't like. i do, and i can say it's not hard at all. you just need to put away the pride a little bit.
    Just_Me92
    xsthana182x
    Just_Me92 wrote: If it weren't for Mcfly, I wouldn't be on this website. Seriously, it was this band that got me into guitar. My friend let me have a listen of the solo in That Girl, and I was totally inspired to start playing guitar myself. All the haters on here are probably 5 years old anyway.. Well the way they act conveys this. And lets face it, I don't exactly spend all my time slating the bands I don't like. Mcfly deserve to be where they are today, and they certainly deserve more credit. People take music so seriously these days... Really, get over yourselves.
    exactly the same here, but i was a mcfly fan from 2004. when That Girl came out and I saw Danny do the guitar solo in the video I took up guitar lessons
    xsthana182x
    lti wrote: boredofhaters wrote: xsthana182x wrote:
    yes, that video would be off nearly 5 years ago. yes, 5 years ago they were 90% pop and assumed it. now they're a pop rock band, 90% being rock. pop is britney spears, rihanna and other, and they have nothing to do with that. actually no genre fits with them, their music is a mixture of so many things and their songs change so much it gets hard to have a stereotype.
    Aaah I hope you don't think I'm saying that McFly are really poppy crappy cause obviously they're not. I'm just saying that the people who say that McFly have always claimed to be this "rock act" are wrong. I think it's wrong putting a band into a genre anyway. People should put songs into genres if they're going to as bands can produce songs that are in different ranges of genres. For example, I wouldn't class She Falls Asleep in the same category as The Last Song as She Falls Asleep is classical using an orchestra and a piano and The Last Song has guitar parts and drums.
    keiraxx
    all those losers that decided to comment on "how bad" they though mcfly were, why bother? Normal people generally read reviews on albums they like, if they find they don't like an album then they turn away and don't feel the need to abuse the, in this case, very successful and talented, band. I love mcfly and will happily shout it out to the world. If you don't fine, just don't ruin reviews by being saying stupid comments. Anyone who has a worthwhile point against mcfly i'll quite happily listen to it, though i highly doubt theres anyone who can. Im not a music snob and i'll give anything a chance. Caus we all look the same in the dark.