Room on the 3rd Floor review by McFly

• Released: Jul 5, 2004
McFly: Room on the 3rd Floor

The sound on this album is top quality. The harmonies and melodies are fantastic. You can defintatley hear the influences from bands like The Beach Boys and The Beatles but mixed in with the newer pop sounds. It sounds awesome. The band are very talented musicians and play very tight live. There are a variation of songs on the album with several fantastic guitar solos in 'That Girl', 'Saturday Night', 'She Left Me' and on the intro to 'Not Alone'. The more acoustic songs are also fantastic. Very impressed with the standard of play here. Some great talent from some young guys. Drummer Harry. I've been told has only played drums for a few years and bassist Dougie is only just 17. Tom and Danny are extremly good guitarists, Danny having played since he was 6.

Lyrics are clever and well written. They aren't too deep (except 'Not Alone' which is quite different from the rest of the album) but deal with everyday lives of teenage guys. They're fun and cheerful. The tow lead singers Danny and Tom compliment each othere very well. Danny has a more old rock type voice while Tom has a clearer voice. Both have good ranges and work very well together. Backing singer Dougie harmonises well too if you listen out for him. Thumbs up.

Very impressed with the lads debut album and looking forward to the next one. They are critised for being Busted Juniors but I think despite their song writing together, they're music is hugely different. These lads are talented musicians who play and write their own songs and deserve respect even if their music is not you're thing. I think McFly have a great longerity in music and are extremly talented. This album works for all ages. I would definately recommend it, it is my favourite album at the moment and seeing as it came out last summer it's not bored me yet! Buy it! They're fantastic on CD and also fantastic live. Nice one.