Room on the 3rd Floor review by McFly

• Released: Jul 5, 2004
McFly: Room on the 3rd Floor

They've been slated for being just a mini-Busted, but if you really listen to the two, you start to see how different they are. They are both catchy, poppy rock but McFly clearly have a stronger '60s influence. Most of the songs are energetic and beachy, and are great for rainy days or when you're down - especially "That Girl" and "Surfer Babe" (which was, incidentally, written in London on a rainy day by guitarists/vocalists Tom Fletcher, Danny Jones & Busted's James Bourne). The title track "Room On The Third Floor" and "Not Alone" offer a completely different, more mature sound. Bassist Dougie Poynter recently said in an interview that "...one of our main goals is just for our music to evolve" - and in my opinion they've started off brilliantly, and can't wait to hear more of their songs. A great album overall.

"Doo doo doo's", "na na's" and "ba ba ba ba ba da ba". So OK, the lyrics aren't the best, but the simplicity of them work well with their fun, summery sound. Although more than half of the songs are about girls being out of their league, Tom has his reasons: "Well look at me, what else am I going to write about?" In the last track on the album, titled "Broccoli," Tom professes to being a "virgin in the kitchen," and Danny to "a fool" and "a loser." Frank and downright hilarious. Tom and Danny's contrasting voices harmonise beautifully throughout the album (very Beatles meets the Beach Boys) and the harmonies are even clearer live, Dougie's parts in particular. Drummer Harry Judd declared that his new year's resolution for 2005 was "to learn to sing." He still can't.

Whatever the critics say, I still think McFly are actually very different to anyone else around at the minute, especially now that Busted have gone their separate ways. My personal favourite from the album is "Down By the Lake" - it's a short but sweet track, about a guy who falls for a girl, but her father "doesn't give his consent so that we can't afford/the perfect wedding we want, gotta do it abroad/in a place you adore, so I got us on a plane to Hawaii." If I ever lost this album (god forbid), I would definitely buy it again.