Room on the 3rd Floor review by McFly

• Released: Jul 5, 2004
McFly: Room on the 3rd Floor

The album sounds pretty good. Actual Pop rock with a touch of 50's and 60's music, it's a nice mix up! Also great use of solos, riffs and other guitar techniques in the melody, they were very creative for that. But it is kind of ruined by the content of the CD, it is too teenage-ish, as said a lot of times here. Like, eleven songs of the album talk about losing/not having a girl. Literally. There's just a few mature songs and the boys could've changed the subject a little bit. Some songs are very cheesy and catchy, so if you're a "boyband"-hater-hard-rocker I bet you won't like this CD. But hey, you can forgive that, that was what they were feeling as they were young at the time.

Lyrics aren't good, to be honest. But that's forgivable, as it was their first album and they didn't have much experience on writing. They're fun but there's actually no content on them except for Not Alone, the best song, and Room on the Third Floor, which are quite mature. It doesn't impress you much, but yes, the lyrics do fit with the songs. Singer skills are impressive. Danny and Tom sing really really well. Almost no studio engineering, you should see them singing live, the skill sounds the same. Sometimes you hear Dougie on the background, and he has a cute voice but far from being good as Tom and Danny. The boys sound awesome together. Thumbs up for this part!

Hm, it reminds me a lot the Beach Boys. Anyways, this album is basically about beach, surf, summer, girls, anything teens would like. I'd recommend you to listen to 5 Colours in Her Hair, Room on the 3rd Floor, That Girl, Not Alone, and Broccoli. These are the coolest songs of the album and I think they're the ones people of all genders and ages can like most. What I like about it: the melody of the songs. As said, very creative, I'd like to just take off the lyrics and just listen to it. What I hate: the lyrics! That's very crappy! At least they improved 200% on Wonderland, thanks God. I'd buy it again if it was stolen, for sure. It's not big deal but worth listening.

x-hannah-182
    claudz4
    x-hannah-182 wrote: Right then, it looks like an old man who has too much wax in his ears has posted a review, moaning just because he's upset that he's wasted his life, not learning guitar and that he's not turned out where these teenages have. Where shall I start? Ah. He says, "First off, all you guys are totally wrong." and then he says, "they use stupid words like "dude" which make them sound like retarded surfers." Well isn't "all you guys are totally wrong" a sort of surfer language? I smell a contradiction here. Next, he says, "One of you said "they don't sound like busted at all" that is complete and utter bulls--t, they sound exactly like Busted, and look were Busted ended up." I'd like to let you know, that Busted were a pop-rock trio. McFly are a surfer-pop quartet with harmonies and solos. "If my 13 year old daughter bought the Mcfly CD, I would ground her and burn the dispicable waste of a CD." Now that's just mean. If your daughter bought a rap CD about gun crime I'm sure that you'd be delighted. The worst thing this album says is in some of the lyrics in Saturday Night. I was 11 when I bought this album. What does that say to you? *cough* over protective *cough* And when your saying about the lyrics : what do you expect teenage boys to write about? Most songs are about love. Look at the charts. Your not telling me that theres not a song in the top 5 that isn't about love? It's played on the Radio so that old men like you might suddenly realise what the music is like these days. Talentless? They're the youngest band since the Beatles to get a debut No.1 album, they've had 7 No.1 singles and their songs are packed full of complicated guitar riffs. Get your facts right! The first line, "all you guys are totally wrong" is starting to sound a bit weak now, isn't it? *Rant over*
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Get over your mid life crisis. You're childhood is over, you'll just have to deal with that. In the meantime, let us enjoy ours ****er. Youngest band to have a debut album at number one since the BEATLES! Anyone who has broken a beatles record cant be that bad, admit it old man.
    keiraxx
    GO AWAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE MCFLY YOU COMPLETE AND UTTER MORONS. for goodness sake, most people reading this review will like mcfly, like myself. If you have an interesting comment then please do share but keep your inane thoughts to yourself please. music snobs. well done x-hannah-182