Room On The 3rd Floor Review

artist: McFly date: 05/30/2008 category: compact discs
McFly: Room On The 3rd Floor
Released: July 5, 2004
Genre: Rock
Room On The 3rd Floor is a pop masterpiece that bursts with tunes dealing with love, loss and frustration and lyrics packed with wry humour and knowing winks.
 Lyrics: 7.2
 8.1
 8.2
Room On The 3rd Floor Reviewed by: -TeddyNapperFi-, on july 08, 2004

Sound: What first struck me about this album, was the way sounds of old and new were combined together so well, and came out sounding like a simple combination, which it definitely is not. It's clear to tell influences come from Beatles, Beach Boys, and definitely The Monkees, but this is well balanced out for this day and age with some modern pop inputs with "Not Alone" and "Room On The Third Floor", in my opinion the best songs on the album. There is some awesome talent below that pop exterior, and it clearly shines through with the guitar solos and the writing techniques. This is a band that is very well balance, with Danny the amazing guitarist (Tom's very good too) and Tom the excellent songwriter. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics compliment the sound perfectly. Nothing too deep, just bright and breezy with the exception of a few songs, which are nevertheless amazing. // 8

Overall Impression: A bright, summery sounding record. Perfect for all ages, for the older audience reminicsing the age of the beach boys, but also for the younger sector of the public with bouncy tunes with a perfect guitar-stricken aura, and the cover doesn't look too bad either! Definitely the best cd I've bought in the past few months. Let's now hope my promo pays off and it goes to number one! // 10

Room On The 3rd Floor Reviewed by: FeelinLuckyPUNK, on september 20, 2004

Sound: Well it all started in a audition room. Singer/songwriters James Bourne and Matt Jay were holding auditions for musicians to complete their band - Busted. It came to two young, talented teenagers, Charlie Simpson and Tom Fletcher. Charlie won the place in the band so Tom decided to create his own. He held auditions and found three lads who fitted the bill. Danny Jones, an experienced guitarist who has played since he was small. Dougie Poynter, a 16 year old bassist and Harry Judd a drummer. The together formed McFly. Tom Fletcher and his McFly buddies became good friends with Busted and together they started to write. James and Tom worked together to produce songs for Busted's second album 'A Present For Everyone' and McFly's debut 'Room On The Third Floor'. From the offset you can see McFly's influences straight away. The main focus is on 60's style music and more noticable The Beach Boys. The songs are full of clean guitars and suprisingly good guitar work. However the odd acoustic songs such as title track 'Room On The 3rd Floor' and 'Not Alone' do break up the album and make it a more pleasent experience. // 8

Lyrics: Well lets see about lyrics. The problem I have is with the same 'boy cant get girl' inspiration these bands use. The lyrics are good in places especially in 'That Girl', 'Saturday Night' and 'Unsaid Things' but the odd lyrical mistake does ruin the experience. In 'Not Alone' a lyric used is 'people rip me for the clothes I wear, everyday seems to be the same, they just swear, they just don't care'. It rythmns but it spoils the slow song that it is by rocking it up a bit. Singing wise these guys are cut out for it. Danny seems to have the stronger vocal range out of the three singers but you hear Tom the most as he has the most distinguisable voice of the trio. Harry rarely gets a look in and basically harmonises. // 8

Overall Impression: As this is pop music the only real band you can compare them with is Busted. Since the songs are co wrote by each band (Tom co wrote 'Crashed The Wedding' etc and james co wrote '5 Colours In Her Hair' etc) it is hard to say who is better. The main problem I have is the songs on the album are not good to rock out to. '5 Colours in Her Hair' and 'That Girl' are good for it but Busted's second album has more rockier sounds. The thing that impressed me about this album is the guitar playing. Danny's experience on guitar has given McFly's music a new dimension especially the solo on 'That Girl' and the intro for 'Not Alone'. So in conclusion I feel that McFly, despite beiong targeted at pre pubescent girls, will stand the test of time and be successful. I'm already looking forward to album number 2. // 8

Room On The 3rd Floor Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 07, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is top quality. The harmonies and melodies are fantastic. You can defintatley hear the influences from bands like The Beach Boys and The Beatles but mixed in with the newer pop sounds. It sounds awesome. The band are very talented musicians and play very tight live. There are a variation of songs on the album with several fantastic guitar solos in 'That Girl', 'Saturday Night', 'She Left Me' and on the intro to 'Not Alone'. The more acoustic songs are also fantastic. Very impressed with the standard of play here. Some great talent from some young guys. Drummer Harry. I've been told has only played drums for a few years and bassist Dougie is only just 17. Tom and Danny are extremly good guitarists, Danny having played since he was 6. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics are clever and well written. They aren't too deep (except 'Not Alone' which is quite different from the rest of the album) but deal with everyday lives of teenage guys. They're fun and cheerful. The tow lead singers Danny and Tom compliment each othere very well. Danny has a more old rock type voice while Tom has a clearer voice. Both have good ranges and work very well together. Backing singer Dougie harmonises well too if you listen out for him. Thumbs up. // 10

Overall Impression: Very impressed with the lads debut album and looking forward to the next one. They are critised for being Busted Juniors but I think despite their song writing together, they're music is hugely different. These lads are talented musicians who play and write their own songs and deserve respect even if their music is not you're thing. I think McFly have a great longerity in music and are extremly talented. This album works for all ages. I would definately recommend it, it is my favourite album at the moment and seeing as it came out last summer it's not bored me yet! Buy it! They're fantastic on CD and also fantastic live. Nice one. // 10

Room On The 3rd Floor Reviewed by: Rickydicky2004, on july 07, 2004

Sound: Right to start off, everyones been saying that these guys sound the same as busted, rubbish totally different. Even though James Bourne (busted) co wrote 8 of the 13 songs. A lot more acousticcy rythym playing coming through thn I am used to, sounds tops. // 10

Lyrics: Tom and Danny do the singing, and compliment each other very well, especially in Obviously (track 2). Lyrics are fine, seem pretty standard, nothing major to report on that front, maybe a bit of busted in the writing but thats it, I swear! // 8

Overall Impression: Well my fave tracks are 1-2 which are 5 Colours In Her Hair and Obviously, they are cracking. Can't say I hate it on any level, I will probably wait till I am sick listening to it. This is now my favorite album in my collection, it's fun, dosen't take itself to seriously, cheer ya up on those rainy days. If lost or stolen, without a doubt would replace it staright away, without giving it a second thought. Top album. // 10

Room On The 3rd Floor Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 08, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is incredible, more acoustic licks than I'd expect but this compliments the prominant rhythmns throughout the album. The voices on the album are complimentary and work well in syncopation and individually. Nothing bad here. // 10

Lyrics: The overall impression of the lyrics on this album are of a good quality and posess the ability to re-create an emotion that you personally have felt in your life. Some punk-like humour that cheers you up when you are down. The lyrics also mix well with the music and help create the feeling that each individual song is trying to create. // 8

Overall Impression: Great debut album by the boys and I think that things can only get better from here. Nothing like busted at all! Different sounds and generally better! I love the way the album relates to everyday life so you can relate and enjoy. I don't like some of the punky quips in it though, something that sometimes annoys me personally. Although that is the only major fault I can find and thats more a personal opinion than a factual one. Great album buy now! // 10

Room On The 3rd Floor Reviewed by: pop princess, on july 15, 2004

Sound: They have a really good music style and all the guiatr tabs are really easy to play. Their musci is far from busted's pop music because they sound the same but each song is varied and has it's own sound. // 10

Lyrics: Ok, I'll admit it, the lyrics are not bad even though the words are a little starnge at times, genually the writing is good and it has inspired me to write my own songs. Short term lyrics are good. // 8

Overall Impression: I am lovin' this album right now, its great to play guitar to, (as I have found out) and the music is different to any other pop rock band ( if that is what you would like to call them becasue I have no idea) it is the only thing that I am playing in my CD player right now an I seggest bhaveing a look at the hidden track (rewind track one to reveal track 14). // 10

Room On The 3rd Floor Reviewed by: tweeniefreak, on october 08, 2004

Sound: Well I personally think that this is a rather funky album. I do think however that about halfway through you kinda get the idear that the rest of the songs are gonna be pretty much the same. You can definatly tell that they have listened to rather a lot of beach boys songs. Many people may say that they sound like Busted but personally I don't think they do. It's guite good for listening to while your cleaning or something, 'to keep your spirits up'. You can't help having a little wiggle while doing the dusting! // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are actually pretty much teenage boy stuff but considering that is what they are you can't really hold it against them. They are quite fun and you can sing along to them which I always find is a bonus. If you want a album with fantastic lyrics that have very profound meanings then you will have probably realised already realised that this album is not for you. But if you want a bit of fun then I would recomend it. // 6

Overall Impression: When I first listened to the album I was actually quite impressed. I kinda liked the single (5 Colours In Her Hair) it's a good silly song. However after a while I kinda get bored of it but it is good for background music while your doing other stuff thats rather monotonous. I would recomend it if theres no other album you want to buy but it wouldn't be my first choice. // 6

Room On The 3rd Floor Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Sound: First off, all you guys are totally wrong. The sound is really really bad. That's also because the main singers voice is so bad though. One of you said "they don't sound like busted at all" that is complete and utter bulls--t, they sound exactly like Busted, and look were Busted ended up. If my 13 year old daughter bought the Mcfly CD, I would ground her and burn the dispicable waste of a CD. // 2

Lyrics: How bloody stupid can people get? The lyrics are completely shallow, have no depth and are 1 dimensional, and they use stupid words like "dude" which make them sound like retarded surfers. This is extremely troubling, how can we protect our children from these horrors if they are played on the radio? // 2

Overall Impression: Mcfly cannot compare to any other bands, they are a genre that alot of todays popstars are included in: 'talentless teeny-boppers'. Not of the songs on their album are any good, their all completely arse. I would be glad if it got stolen, it was given to me as a joke for christmas, actually I don't know where it is any more, and quite frankly I don't give a s--t. // 2

Room On The 3rd Floor Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2005

Sound: They've been slated for being just a mini-Busted, but if you really listen to the two, you start to see how different they are. They are both catchy, poppy rock but McFly clearly have a stronger '60s influence. Most of the songs are energetic and beachy, and are great for rainy days or when you're down - especially "That Girl" and "Surfer Babe" (which was, incidentally, written in London on a rainy day by guitarists/vocalists Tom Fletcher, Danny Jones & Busted's James Bourne). The title track "Room On The Third Floor" and "Not Alone" offer a completely different, more mature sound. Bassist Dougie Poynter recently said in an interview that "...one of our main goals is just for our music to evolve" - and in my opinion they've started off brilliantly, and can't wait to hear more of their songs. A great album overall. // 10

Lyrics: "Doo doo doo's", "na na's" and "ba ba ba ba ba da ba". So OK, the lyrics aren't the best, but the simplicity of them work well with their fun, summery sound. Although more than half of the songs are about girls being out of their league, Tom has his reasons: "Well look at me, what else am I going to write about?" In the last track on the album, titled "Broccoli," Tom professes to being a "virgin in the kitchen," and Danny to "a fool" and "a loser." Frank and downright hilarious. Tom and Danny's contrasting voices harmonise beautifully throughout the album (very Beatles meets the Beach Boys) and the harmonies are even clearer live, Dougie's parts in particular. Drummer Harry Judd declared that his new year's resolution for 2005 was "to learn to sing." He still can't. // 8

Overall Impression: Whatever the critics say, I still think McFly are actually very different to anyone else around at the minute, especially now that Busted have gone their separate ways. My personal favourite from the album is "Down By the Lake" - it's a short but sweet track, about a guy who falls for a girl, but her father "doesn't give his consent so that we can't afford/the perfect wedding we want, gotta do it abroad/in a place you adore, so I got us on a plane to Hawaii." If I ever lost this album (god forbid), I would definitely buy it again. // 10

Room On The 3rd Floor Reviewed by: last summer, on october 31, 2005

Sound: I love this album, but I think its not going to be their best album because it is a bit childish so I hope their second album "Wonderland" is better, as I haven't got it yet. I think they aren't pop because they are serious and busted had that same problem, they wanted to be called a rock band but they couldn't be taken serious about it. That's probably why Charlie left to get his hands dirty in Fightstar (they rock). // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are sort of ok because they are about girls and falling for someone they can't have. And that's why I'm sure their second album will be better because they have got older and more mature. I think tom's voice is a bit funny but I suppose that's the way he talks (don't mean to offend). // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that you either love it or you hate it. In my case I love it so there! But I think they have done well considering they have influenced from artists like "The Who" and "The Beach Boys." // 9

Room On The 3rd Floor Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 30, 2008

Sound: The album sounds pretty good. Actual Pop rock with a touch of 50's and 60's music, it's a nice mix up! Also great use of solos, riffs and other guitar techniques in the melody, they were very creative for that. But it is kind of ruined by the content of the CD, it is too teenage-ish, as said a lot of times here. Like, eleven songs of the album talk about losing/not having a girl. Literally. There's just a few mature songs and the boys could've changed the subject a little bit. Some songs are very cheesy and catchy, so if you're a "boyband"-hater-hard-rocker I bet you won't like this CD. But hey, you can forgive that, that was what they were feeling as they were young at the time. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics aren't good, to be honest. But that's forgivable, as it was their first album and they didn't have much experience on writing. They're fun but there's actually no content on them except for Not Alone, the best song, and Room on the Third Floor, which are quite mature. It doesn't impress you much, but yes, the lyrics do fit with the songs. Singer skills are impressive. Danny and Tom sing really really well. Almost no studio engineering, you should see them singing live, the skill sounds the same. Sometimes you hear Dougie on the background, and he has a cute voice but far from being good as Tom and Danny. The boys sound awesome together. Thumbs up for this part! // 6

Overall Impression: Hm, it reminds me a lot the Beach Boys. Anyways, this album is basically about beach, surf, summer, girls, anything teens would like. I'd recommend you to listen to 5 Colours in Her Hair, Room on the 3rd Floor, That Girl, Not Alone, and Broccoli. These are the coolest songs of the album and I think they're the ones people of all genders and ages can like most. What I like about it: the melody of the songs. As said, very creative, I'd like to just take off the lyrics and just listen to it. What I hate: the lyrics! That's very crappy! At least they improved 200% on Wonderland, thanks God. I'd buy it again if it was stolen, for sure. It's not big deal but worth listening. // 8

Comments