Wonderland review by McFly

• Released: Aug 29, 2005
  • Reviewer's score: 6.7 Neat
McFly: Wonderland

Their overall sound as a band has moved on from the early days of "Room On The Third Floor." I thought that was a good album but compared to this it is childish. There are some songs on this album which could have been on the last one. These are nothing and I've got you. They've used many different influences in this album. In Ultraviolet there is a sitar, In all about you and she falls asleep there is an 80 piece orchestra and in I wanna hold you it sounds like a cross between girls aloud and new orleans blues. Strange combination but it works. They have managed to develop a good sound in this album and I would now compare them to The Beach Boys not Busted soundwise.

Some of the lyrics are slightly unfitting to the music i.e. in Don't Know Why: "Hate the sound of one more pound/As it rolls away." Though through the songs on this album, they manage to approach the issues of suicide, alchoholism and being to proud to go and get your pension, with surprising amounts of care and compasion, instead of just singing about summer frolics with surfer girls and girls with 5 Colours In Their Hair. Tom sings the majority of the lyrics on the album but Danny sings don't know why as it was written by him and his sister. I think Dougie is the hidden gem of the band because when he sings in too close for comfort (even if it is only 4 lines). He doesn't sing much but on the McFly website you can download a version of I'll be ok with Dougie singing Tom's part. I think it's better as he has a softer voice than Tom.

It is comparable to Busted because there both young male instrumental bands but I prefer this. They have used lots of different influences and I feel they have come together well. There are the low points like Nothing and I've Got You but these are just songs that belong moreso in the last album. My favourite songs are She Falls Asleep Part 2 and The Ballad Of Paul K. I love McFly so I have got a biased opinion. Musically they have improved alot since the last album. I don't hate anything but I don't really like Tom's voice that much compared to Danny and Dougie which is a shame because he steals the spotlight. I'd deffinatly buy it again if it got stolen but I doubt it would. Can't really see a burglar purposefully stealing a McFly CD not exactly a big earner.