Wonderland review by McFly

• Released: Aug 29, 2005
McFly: Wonderland

McFly's debut album Room On The Third Floor was a brilliant first album but it's clear from listening to Wonderland that the lads have grown up a lot since ROTTF. There are brilliant guitar tracks like I've Got You and Too Close For Comfort and I Wanna Hold You (which will be the lads 2nd release from this album) some more acoustic tracks like The Ballad Of Paul K and All About You and great use of orchestras on the epic She Falls Asleep (in two parts, one instrumental and one with vocals). Most songs are written by Tom, Danny and Dougie or Tom and Danny. Harry cowrites on one track and unlike the 1st album where he wrote many songs with the boys, James Bourne has only cowritten one track on Wonderland. The sound is very impressive and alot more varied than some of their earlier songs, McFly have advanced in their songwriting and playing and are back better than ever.

The lyrics in these songs are much more serious in places than on the debut album. On Room On The Third Floor many songs were about girls and not being able to get them (not that ROTTF wasn't a brilliant album as well) however on Wonderland there are songs about midlife crisis', suicide, love and more. Tom and Dannys voices work brilliantly together and with Dougie joining in on backing vocals (and having small solo parts on Too Close For Comfort and Nothing) the melodies in the songs sound fantastic.

This is a must buy album for anybody wanting to hear more of McFly. It's an album packed full of surprises and some of the best songs of 2005. She Falls Asleep is absolutely epic and is unlike anything we've ever heard from McFly before. There is not any song on this album I do not love!