Wonderland review by McFly

• Released: Aug 29, 2005
McFly: Wonderland

The bands sound has taken a huge jump forward from the last album. The album is strewn with awesome ochestral work, a piano, tonnes of kicking guitar and even in the rather mysterious 'Ultraviolet' a sitar! It is much more mature and adresses darker issues. There are some fantastic riffs and solos including Jones' (Danny Jones - guitar and vocals) solo in 'I Wanna Hold You' and the riffs in 'Too Close For Comfort'. 'Too Close for Comfort' also has a small part sung by Poynter (Dougie Poynter - bass and backing vocals), he also sings the bridge on the bouncy but sadly themed 'Nothing'. He has some great bass lines, including some fatastic bass in 'Too Close FOr Comfort'. There are a few brighter songs like the previously mentioned 'I Wanna Hold You' and 'I've Got You' (some great drumming especially during the verses from drummer Harry Judd) but even these take a step forward from the last album. 'She Falls Asleep' is a fantastic song with the full orchestra and piano written and sung by Fletcher (Tom Fletcher - guitar and vocals) about a girl who killed herself. A very touching song and fantasticly written by Fletcher on the piano. 'The Ballad of Paul K' is also a great sounding song about Dad's struggling though mid-life and how parents keep a lot of stuff from their children. It's got a great intro and outro and the Middle 8 is really fantastic. McFly include in their list of insperations for this album - Supertramp, Oasis, The Who, Kelly Joe Phelps and film copmposer John Williams (She Falls Asleep).

Lyrics are fantastic on this album. Better than the last. My favourites include: 01. I've Got You - "If stars collide will you stand by and watch them fall" (great imagery). 02. The Ballad Of Paul K - "He used to smile now he frowns" (flows so well witht he melody, this whole song has a great honoest to it. Very simple lyrics that make it so much more personal to everyone and easy to relate to). Also from this song the middle 8 "Look at what you've thrown away, they stood beside you all the way." With the riff this really kicks off as a middle 8. 03. She Falls Asleep - "When she's asleep the air she's breathing is for you." This whole song has fantastic imagery and darkness to it, it's generally beautiful. Fletcher's clear, well trained voice, the beautiful orchestral work and solitary piano parts really piece this song together. A really touching song. 04. I Wanna Hold You - fantastic lyrics throughout this song including: "Tell me that you want me baby, tell me that it's true, say the magic words and I'll destroy the world for you. Not before the broken hearted, are marching through the streets, and every cities burning to the ground under your feet." Goes fantasticly well with the song as do the second verse and the brilliant middle 8. The solo is amazing, and the intro really sucks you in, it's awesome. Great song live too. 05. Nothing - "And I can't remember falling in love with you" and "That's why I've forgotten falling in love with you." The bridge sung by bassist Poynter really brings acorss the idea behind the song that the guy is feeling so numb from the relationship that he can't even remember falling love in teh first place. 06. Ultraviolet - "Nothing goes to plan, it's all a game of chance they say in Wonderland." A very mysterious song but a good one.

Really imressed with this album. McFly are definately heading in teh right direction. It sounds great, lyrically and musically. They have become better song writers and musicians a a credit to them. The most impressive songs on the album would be 'Too Close For Comfort', 'She Falls Asleep', 'The Ballad Of Paul K' and 'Don't Know Why' because each one deals with difficult life, but humble and honest life issues backed up by great melodies, musicianship and som fantastic guitar riffs. 'Ultraviolet' has a great mystery to it while 'I Wanna Hold You' is a fantastic, tap your foot, brilliant, upbeat jazzy number with a kicking solo by Jones. Finally 'All About You' the lovely melody of a charity tune written by Fletcher for his girlfriend and then played on their trip to Uganda for Comic Relief. Of course 'I'll be ok' the first single (except the comic relief tune) from the album went to number one and 'I've got You' kicks with its great riffs, intro, lyrics and drumming by Judd. I love it. I would definately replace it if it were stolen. No question. A fantastic album McFly. I take my hat off to you. Long may you continue to be an example to the next generation of musicians!