Wonderland review by McFly

• Released: Aug 29, 2005
McFly: Wonderland

McFly's very much anticipated second album. The sound has been very evidently well thought out, with a distinctive move from a more guitar-pop seen in Room On The 3rd Floor to a more pop-punk-rock that we are familiar with many bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, and the late Busted. However McFly do have that edge over other bands. With catchy riffs and guitar solos that McFly have trademarked, their songs are a very modern-day Beach Boys or Beatles classification of genre that keeps our toes tapping although it is heavier on the electric guitar than in their first album. In the first album, we saw a pretty much repetitive use of simple chords that showed no difference between their album tracks. However in Wonderland, we see a vast difference in tracks from a slow orchestral 'She Falls Asleep' to the more catchy-and-toe-tapping 'I wanna hold you'. In Sound, McFly would be able to reel in a lot more fans with the rock influences in mainstream music, and also keep in tact their pop fans. Personally, I find their sound quite original which proves to sell in the market. The only thing this album lacks is the young fresh energy that McFly radiated in the first album, but other than that it proves to be a hit in stores.

Lyrics are much obviously better than in the first album. Comparably, McFly have moved on from teenage problems like frustration in love, loss, relationships to a more mature writing. This album just shows that McFly have the lyrical talent to write about anything from songs like 'The Ballad Of Paul K' about dads suffering from midlife crisis and 'Too Close For Comfort' where we have the lyrics "All this time you've been telling me lies, hidden in bags that are under your eyes". McFly have improved tremendously and this album shows their compatiblity with a more serious spark that were lacking in their young-at-heart first album. The lyrics go well with the music in songs like 'I wanna hold you' where we feel the frustration of being away from someone we love and in 'The Ballad Of Paul K' where Tom Fletcher's vocals helped us sink into the low mood the song was trying to portray and Danny Jones' vocals were spot on in Middle 8's where his rather low vocals help to hit the climax of the song. This album showcases a bit more of Dougie Poynter's vocals which were very well suited in certain songs so as not to bore fans with the more-than-commonly-heard vocals of Fletcher and Jones. Lyrically, this album is tremendous for a bunch of young lads in the music industry and a definite big jump from their younger days in Room On The Third Floor.

My overall impression of this album is a big pat on the back for the lads in McFly. They have grown older since their first album, and their improvements from past-experiences shows with better playing, better sound, better vocals, better lyrics and a more variety of emotions in their playing. I think all the songs in this album deserves to be heard, but choice cuts would be 'I Wanna Hold You', 'Too Close For Comfort', 'Nothing', 'The Ballad Of Paul K' and 'Ultraviolet'. I hate nothing about this album. It's a good album to listen to regardless of what mood you're in. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definitely buy it again because unlike most bands, all tracks in the album are pleasant to the ear whereas some bands come up with good singles but the rest of the tracks in their album are painful and disturbing. If you haven't already heard this album, what are you waiting for? McFly's album is indeed a Wonderland and a wonderful improvement from before.